Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redwork embroidery questions

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 11:36

I bought 2 pillowcases prestamped for embroidery. They are horses so I'll give them to one of my kiddie relatives. If they last that long, the fabric is so thin lol!!!! I
got them really cheap and I wanted to practice.

I really like starting off with the loop instead of a knot. But the redwork site with all of the great tutorials advises to end by wrapping the threads around about 3 of the stitches.

I'm not going to chance it coming undone so I have been making small knots to finish. You can't see them from the front.

How do you finish yours so the stitches don't unravel????
Rosa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redwork embroidery questions

I use a knot to begin and to end I run the thread under several stitches on the back, then make a loop, poke the needle through and pull the loop tight over the thread, then cut it.

o

Thank you Teresa I'll try that. I don't think the thread is thick enough for the knot to show through on a quilt block.

I don't think the wrapping around 3 stitches is secure enough!!!!

o

I knot at the beginning and make a loop/knot at the end as well. If it's a project where I can hide the end thread or knot I'll go back under with the thread, come out a half inch/inch away and pull the thread and cut it so it disappears underneath. When I did cross-stitch I wrapped the threads at beginning and end to tuck it under. But those weren't something that had to put up with washings and I feel a knot is more secure.

I bought some pre-stamped quilt blocks at a quilt show and they are also very thin. Turns out they are a cotton-poly blend. I'm making one of set of them and might just use them for totes, the others I'm not sure what I'll do with them. It was nice not to have to transfer, but I'd rather have used my own thicker Kona fabric.

o

I agree!!! These are so thin they will not last long. As pillowcases they will be washed in the machine. But I was looking for something easy to practice on.

The discount store I bought them in has them really cheap, but there is no way I would put that much time into a project that is not durable.
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here