Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stash Reduction Challenge

Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 11:35

I posted this to my SparkPeople team and thought we could use it here too. Many of us are in need of reducing our stash, so I challenged my team to a weight/stash reduction. There are 2 options:

1) make at least 1 block per month using only your stash. You may make the same block or different blocks. What ever strikes your fancy. At the end of the year you will have at least 1 nice quilt.

2) make one block for each pound you lose during the year. Hopefully at the end of the year you will have a great big quilt.

I am going for option 2, we will see how it goes.
beverly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stash Reduction Challenge

Beverly, that sounds like a great challenge! I've already lost nearly all the weight I need to (3-5 pounds to go!) so I will keep making projects from my stash. I've been doing that for a while....using as much from my stash as I can. :)

Donna

This post was edited by msmeow on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 14:51

o

Sounds like a plan but option 2 just doesn't work for me.
I will try for # 1. I used my stash a lot last year but like the idea of a scrappy with a purpose.

o

Scrappy with a purpose sounds great. Now if I can just get going on the next birthday block maybe there's hope :-)

o

You could make 2 of each birthday block and keep one.

beverly

o

I'm more likely to look at my stash and pick a quilt out according to how much of it I can use, than pick out a quilt and buy material specifically to make it. Of course I have to buy material sometimes to supplement what I have on hand, but not always, and in fact not often. The really ironic thing is the last time I went out and bought a large amount of yardage for a specific quilt..........it ended up in my stash bins and sits there to this day. LOL

The simple truth is that with the cost of cottons, and my budget for things like that, I simply can't afford NOT to use what I have set by. I remember going to one of our LQS once to look for something, and having one of the clerks tell me what an expensive hobby quilting was. You know, it struck me odd when she said that, but yes..........it could be and that's the antithesis of what it started out as. I've already busted most of my blue stash with my last quilt and it's a good feeling to know it's finally put to use.

o

Stash reduction has been my guide for a while. I will never use up all that I have collected over the years. Maybe that is why scrappy quilts are now my favorite. My goal is to see how many quilts have been hiding in my stash!

o

I have used from my stash already this year. I am quilting table runners that I made in 2010 using stash for the backing.I did two yesterday and loaded one this morning. I hope to reduce the stash and the number of unquilted items in the closet.
Linda OH

o

You'd be proud of me Bev. One of these days I will get ambitious and post pix of the last several quilts I've made...all from my stash. It's very satisfying. I won't even buy backing fabric anymore because it adds to the stash. I either piece it together or use muslin.

o

I love both options with option 1 being the most realistic and option 2 being a goal. I gained pounds in 2012 with a new desk job where I have little self time to work out, of course if I took the quilting time to work out ... decisions, decisions...ok...I'm going for option 1!
V.

o

One of my DD's started a private group on FB for those in our family who want to lose weight so I think I'm going to go with Option 1 and give the quilt to the person who has lost the most during a certain period of time. Not sure I can wait a year, but we'll see....I might end up getting it myself!

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon, that is a great idea. I'll quilt it for you. I'll write Biggest Loser in the border.

beverly

o

I've started reducing too...I have way too many scraps, so I've dedicated a couple of months to sew these together to make donation quilt tops for a local church's mission program. Also..I've seen a couple of quilt pictures where they made sashing strips and border strips using scrappy fabrics and thought these would use up my scraps and would look great with kid print panels. These will all go to the church when I finish getting them all quilted.

o

I am so glad to find this. What a great idea! I am manager of a fabric dept and have a difficult time in stash reduction. I, too, will enjoy the purpose. I am finding that I really need something scrappy to love.

o

Thank you Beverly. I'm excited about the project and am trying to think about a pattern.

SharonG/FL

o

Lost 1 pound, gotta make a block!

beverly

o

Good for you, Beverly!! Our group weighs in on Friday's. Maybe I should sneak a look before then. lol

SharonG/FL

o

Lost another this week, now to the sewing room to make another block. That's 2 this month, I have reached my goal and it is just the 13th!

beverly

o

I have also lost 2, Beverly. But not at my goal......I need to think about what I want to do for a quilt.

SharonG/FL

o

Oh, just my goal for Jan. I hope to lose 2 pounds every month. That will make a nice size quilt and a nice size me.

beverly

o

For this project, and in keeping with trying to finish UFO's and use up blocks I already have, I'm thinking about using fun 'house' blocks I have and adding a frame to make a completed block, maybe making them wonky??.....or something. I think they're 9" (finished). Any other ideas?

SharonG/FL

o

I am using my stash to make the Moose baby quilt. Have the top mostly done, different, I must say.
Also made 1 block from my stash as a trial block, does that count??

o

Sharon, wonky blocks would be great for using us stash. I'm making pinwheel blocks out of left over triangles. I'll sash and combine the smaller ones to make larger blocks. There should be a nice collection when I'm finished.

Nanajayne, all blocks count if they use stash.

I have a confession. I had to purchase fabric to make a quilt for a friends grandson. It is a commission quilt and I only had to purchase 1 fabric.

beverly

o

Lost 3 more pounds! Not bad considering we spent a week in Seattle on vacation.

beverly

o

Guess what? I made Lifetime at Weight Watchers on Thursday! Woohoo! Now to keep it off....

I confess, I bought a kit at our quilt show last month. :) Other than that, I've been using my stash, but haven't gotten much sewing done.

Donna

o

What a great project Beverly!

It's a good thing I'm not involved in it. I don't have time to make 7 blocks! But I can't wait to see what everyone creates!

Jennifer

o

Congrats Donna, that is great. You are forgiven for purchasing the kit. I must confess, I purchased some gray fabric and backing I needed for a wedding quilt. But the rest (even batting) is coming from the stash.

beverly

o

How is everyone doing? Hope we are making lots of blocks.

beverly

o

I done ya proud! Since the first of the year. I made and then gifted a pink crazy quilt. Made a quilted handbag. Have one wool quilt top done in a disappearing nine patch, and am now working on a heavy wool crazy quilt, using mostly wool scraps from the first wool quilt. It's foundation pieced and has some heft to it, and I've top-stitched the patches in so far and like the look of it. Then there was the white eyelet pinafore for my g'granddaughter finished. All of it from my stash, and you can barely tell any was taken from it. LOL.

o

Katie's quilt and the 2 quilt tops I've made this year were stash quilts. Except I did have to buy some Kona white....but I consider that a staple! And I have blocks sewn together for a twister heart.....all stash!

SharonG/FL

o

The placemats I just made were from stash. They went together easily so I plan to make more for gifts ... from stash.
Theresa

o

I made 6 Big Star Blocks - finish 24" square, completely from my stash. The 7th block I needed to buy a 1/3 yard of yellow Kona but the other 2 fabrics were from my stash.

o

Doin good! Keep it up.

beverly

o

I just ran across this post this morning & it sounds great- so I'm joining! Late, of course - but what's new about that?? Ha Ha!

Altho surgery & hospital stays have put a dent in my sewing time, so far everything I've made has been from my stash. I'll need to get pics posted soon.

For those of you who know of my mom's supply - I have put the ka-bash on any more of her stash delivery to my house! - UNLESS she takes some of the stuff our girls have left in our attic! Seems like a fair enough trade. Apparently whenever the girls move, some of their things just don't fit onto the truck...so guess where it goes? - again! Can anyone relate??

Maybe I can get DH to watch kiddos for awhile so I can get pics posted of what I've done so far w/my stash. The girls are easy - 2 & 3 yrs - but the 3 mo old boy is not his favorite...yet!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone accomplishes :)

~Cindy

o

I'm not sewing with you on this one, but thought it was the best place to share with those that could appreciate....

I have lost 10 pounds!! ! WhooHOOO! And still going!

I do have some blocks to make up, but it's not stash...it's on someone else's dime, though.

o

Good for you! It is sort of "stash", just not fabric. And someone else's dime doesn't count as purchased fabric.

beverly

o

I made 2 blocks today for the March Block Lotto from my stash. Reducing my stash one block at a time.
I had my annual physical yesterday so will be joining you ladies on the other part of this reduction. The weight just creeps up on you doesn't it? My Dr. did say that she thought it was healthier though to gain a couple of pounds than to drop 10 for no reason and without trying....that is when she really worries.

Maryv

o

WoW! I need to start the weight reduction part of this. I have pieced 4 baby/youth sized charity quilts since February over 60 squares ... One is quilted and gone, the others are waiting to be sandwiched and quilted. Also did 3 lotto blocks from my stash! I only need to loose about 20 pounds by November, but can't seem to get that part going. Maybe I will take DH's advice and join the health club with him - might give me a jump start.
Sue

o

Sue, I'll tell you what I've done...

Totally cut out all sodas, and virtually only drink bubbly, flavored water.

I've cut out all snacking (cookies, cupcakes, chips, etc.) and have only the occassional chocolate. I'm working on smaller portion sizes, too.

And then, I'm exercising with the WiiFit program every other day, for 20-40 minutes a time.

I think the snacking and sodas have accounted for a lot of the weight loss. The exercise is the extra kicker.

Maybe this could help you... The gym is a great idea! I'll start doing more at the gym when I don't use that uninterrupted time studying for classes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here