Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

Batik quilt

Joan Dupuis
13 years ago

While searching the net for Disappearing 9 patch quilts I came across one made with Batiks.

This is mine, not quilted yet.

Comments (25)

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I like it, especially the border print fabric. You have been busy! Congratulations. TFS Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I like the border fabric too! Don't you just love Batiks? Great quilt!

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    13 years ago

Wonderful quilt. Yeah, I like the border fabric too....so luxurious!! TFS.

~Geraldine

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

that's beautiful. I love your bright colors. Good job.

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

I just love batik colors and yours is really a great combination the way it was done. NICE, nice, nice!!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I love Batiks - your quilt is gorgeous!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Those batiks are yummy! Love your quilt.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Well if you're looking for Disappearing 9 Patch in Batik, here's one of mine:

Front of 9 blocks of scrappy 9-4 (some Batik, hard to see),

somehow, this first shot almost glows:

w/ a back that's one large unit of same, all in batik

Closer up where you can really see the batik (which I just love)

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing yours Pirate Girl. I was too chicken to actually sew the squares together, cut them and resew placing them differently. I just sewed strips of sashing with corner blocks, and strips using the 5" charm pack and sashing, and sewed them together.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Bloomorelse (love your handle, I'm an indoor gardener myself).

I kind of like how you've sashed yours (I'm rather timid of sashings & corner blocks).

Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's the pic, but I don't see what's batik in yours, is it in the squares?

Cause I don't see it in either the dark green or the burgundy borders (nice). I see a kind of custom dye job, don't know what that's called, where it's a lighter & darker. What I'm not seeing is anywhere of the wax resist (which may but doesn't have to be white).

In my last pic, the area which looks apple or lime green has some fine, wispy lines, evidence of the 'crackle' so characteristic of batik, where the dyes seeped into the wax when it cracked & what I love most about it.

I've got some more examples, just can't recall where those pix are.

Have you thought how you'd like to quilt yours? Am guessing in the ditch might be very nice.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I love batiks!! Beautiful!!

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Pls. disregard the unrelated strips hanging around each of these views:

The back of this one has 3 different batik fabrics

They evolved in an unrelated way, this front & back:

This is one large Disappearing 9 Patch unit on the reverse of the above which is 9 blocks of Disappearing 9 Patch:

I quilted in the ditch around the front 9 blocks.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's actually all fabric from Connecting Threads, sold as batiks. I know it's hard to see the different colors on the bed. I took these 2 so you'd have a better idea of the colors. The squares are from the batik charm pack. This is the first time ordering from them and I find their batik fabric quite thin.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks for the close up, they're really nicely colored fabrics. I can see now a few w/ their batik details.

I suspect they mixed the charm pack of some batik & some space dyes (for lack of a better term).

I particularly like the color of the corner blocks you've chosen, especially harmonous. Gonna be gorgeous!!

Can a nosy, curious girl like me ask pls. what you'll be using on the back.

Great work, well done!!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Bloom - I bought some of the charms of the Batiks on sale at CT to get my order up over $50.00 for the free shipping. I was curious about the quality. I agree they are thin and different - but beautiful colors. Now what to do with them?? When I saw your beautiful quilt, I thought that would be perfect, except I am concerned about the colors fading onto the light sashing.
    Have you washed you quilt yet?

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pirate Girl, I will be using the "Dreamscape, Congo" print from CT.

magothyrivergirl, that's quite a handle. LOL Haven't washed it yet, as only the top done, not quilted yet. Not sure if I'll quilt it myself by hand with stitch in the ditch, or send it out to be done with just a Meandering stitch.

I am also attracted to their Dripping Diamonds kit but a little concerned that all their fabric is that thin. I read another older post that also thought their batiks were thin, but some of their other fabric they got from them was of better quality, so maybe the kit fabric would be ok.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Decided to try the quilting myself with a meandering design (free hand). 1st stab at hand quilting anything other than stitch in the ditch. I just used one of those rectangle hoops. The green border was also free hand. I was getting tired of quilting and just wanted to get this finished, so maybe not the best choice for this one. I found a pic of a butterfly and made a cardboard pattern for the burgendy border. I also used a variaged thread.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Super quilting!!!!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Your hand quilting is beautiful!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Lovely quilt and beautiful quilting! I'm addicted to batiks and just bought another Bali Pops today. Actually, your cornerstones have given me an idea for a log cabin I'm planning to make with batiks! Thanks!!!

kate

• lola99
    12 years ago

Wow, your quilting is amazing! I like the bright batiks in your top, but your quilting really blows me away. Nice job.

Lola

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

You did a wonderful job. Love hand quilting and think meandering would be difficult to continue that way. Nice to see the before and ater. Lovily. TFS Jayne

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Bloomorelse, I can't imagine the hours you spent quilting. You do wonderful work. The stitches are so perfect. What an accomplishment!

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is very time consuming (queen size), but I enjoy doing it while sitting watching TV. Besides, I'm too cheap to send it out and have it machine quilted, nor do I have a machine with a big enough opening to attempt it myself.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt and your hand quilting is exquisite!

May I ask how you marked the meandering pattern? I have a baby quilt to hand quilt and am having a hard time deciding what to do but the meandering you did might just do it.

Thanks
    Mary

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA