Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My "recovery" top is finally finished

Posted by toolgranny (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 11:13

I know I haven't produced much this past six months. After my surgery Aug 30th I wasn't allowed to sew for two months or so. Now I can FMQ on the table machine, piece just fine, but still can't use the frame quilter yet.

Anyway, within a couple of weeks I found I could applique if I held it low in my lap and pull the thread sideways, not up. I didn't tell the doctors. But, I was going nuts. So, I made this top, soon to be quilted for my mother.

My mother! She's never home, turns 94 on Feb 1st, and said she didn't want a quilt. Then she went to a local show with me and saw a design like this hanging and said "Oh, I love that!" So, I jumped in and said would she keep it if I made the same for her and she agreed. I have to finish it quickly because she tells everyone she's planning to die at 95. We all know she will be sitting in the front row at her own wake, but that's another story.

I hope to get this basted and ready to quilt soon. It's still hard for me to pin baste across a table but my DH or a friend will come over and help. I'll post a follow-up picture when it's done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My "recovery" top is finally finished

It's truly lovely!!! Gorgeous applique!!! What a wonderful, beautiful quilt!!! Thank you for sharing a pic with us!

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

o

Oh Linda, I love your mother without even meeting her lol! I hear so many stories about making quilts for people that don't want them, so they get hurt because they're not appreciated, at least she's honest lol!

The quilt is beautiful, your applique is perfect! Glad you are almost back to perfect.
Rosa

o

OMG! BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see it completed. I would love to see close ups. I always admire your work.
I really like the subtle blue border. It really showcases the applique.

I'm sure you have seen this technique - instead of pin basting, you use very small bits of fusible - I would be afraid to use it everywhere, but it may help in some areas.
Your Mom sounds like she is living every minute to the fullest!

o

Linda, it is stunning! Just beautiful. If your mom doesn't like it, mine would! LOL

Donna

o

Linda, that is just gorgeous!
You and your mother are remarkable.
Theresa

o

Linda, your mother's quilt is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to believe you were impaired in any way when you made it. I love the two shades of blue in the border. You have created a masterpiece!

o

Beautiful quilt for your mom. Love the colors. Your mom is a hoot. She sounds like a lot of fun. Happy Birthday to your mom.
Mary

o

Just gorgeous!!
Even handicapped, you turn out beautiful work.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Ohhhhhh Linda, it's beautiful!!! What an accomplishment!! Will you show your doctor what you did during 'recovery' time?

SharonG/FL

o

Absolutely fantastic! Love it very much
Kristene

o

Oh, Linda, that's GORGEOUS!! Love the layout and I'm sure it's immaculate applique as well!!

Can't wait to see it done with quilting!

Your mom is very lucky!

Sharon, you're a hoot! Can you imagine what her dr. would say!?

o

That's just beautiful. I hope your mom loves it!

o

i can't believe you did that impaired. it is beautiful and you mom sounds adorable!

o

What a magnificent quilt! You did an amazing job on it, and I know your Mom will love it. She sounds a lot like my father, who is almost 92 and travels all over the world...except that he plans to stick around for his 100th birthday!

o

Yeah, Jen. I wanted to know what her doc would say, don't you? LOL He could advertise that his patients can do this during recovery time......course, he wouldn't tell them they had to know how before surgery. lololol

SharonG/FL

o

You are amazing! I am so proud that you didn't sit and whine during your recover but were able to focus on the good things in life. What a beautiful work of art you created and it will surly encourage you mother that 95 is just to soon to go and not be able to enjoy your great quilt. Tell her to keep on renewing that contract for a few more years. I do every year on my BD....

o

Amazing and applause to you...it's just lovely! Your creations as always are beautiful ... all my parts are still fully functional (so far) and I could never handle applique such as this!

Once you give that to dear old Mom...I bet she'll change her story to stick around beyond 95!

V.

o

Breathtakingly beautiful, really amazing. Yes, that 2 toned blue border stripe catches my eye too, really nice. Hard to believe you were injured while doing this.

o

The quilt is utterly gorgeous and your Mom sounds like a hoot!

I haven't made anything that gorgeous in appliqué even without any surgery discomforts!
LindaB/CA

o

This is very very special. It's lovely and you've done the fabulous job we've all come to expect from your work, but the story about your mom makes it even better. To think you did this while recovering makes it EVEN BETTER THAN THAT.

Kate

o

that is awesome in every way!!! Fabulous piece!!!! Lucky Momma!!!!! (and I want to hear more about her seating arrangement for her own wake...!!!! ...sounds like my MIL who is almost 92) ....have we lost some spunk that our Old Gals still have????

o

That is so beautiful!
Karlene

o

Can't stop looking at this one. I've decided it reminds me of crewel designs. It's so beautiful. Did you hand appliqué everything?
LindaB/CA

o

Wow, that is very special! I love it, beautifully done!!!

o

That is stunning. Anything I've ever seen you make has been gorgeous Linda, but that is really spectacular. I remember hearing stories about your mother.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here