Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - general info and patterns 2012

K8Orlando
12 years ago

First of all, apologies to those who don't want to participate in the lotto and get tired of seeing too many posts about it. From now on there will only be one topic each month, I promise!

Today I'm going to post pictures of the next few blocks. I encourage you to try them all and send in at least one block a month, but if you only want to join in a few of them that's OK too. At the end of the year, there will be a drawing or two for those who have participated the most throughout the year. You won't want to miss out on a chance for these prizes!

Here's the line-up of blocks (pictures in the follow-up post):

January - quilters choice in red/white

February - Contrary Wife in deep tones and beige

March - Amish Diamond in solids or small prints that read as solids

April - Bento Box (it's the July block on the linked page) in black/white and a bright

May - Next Door Neighbor in red/blue/beige (could be great for a patriotic donation quilt!)

June - Log Cabin (it's the May block on the linked page) - in neutral darks and lights

July - any star pattern in blues and yellows

August - Dutchman's Puzzle in autumn colors

September - Roberta's Jewels (it's the August block on the linked page) - scrappy

October - Santa Face without embellishments in Christmas colors (could be a fun session at the retreat?!?)

November - Depression Block in lights and darks of blues, greens, purples

December - (to be announced, but it will be something very simple for this busy month)

If you have any questions, let me know!

Kate

Comments (85)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon~the privilege is ours!

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I think the problem comes with the terms "finished" and "unfinished". That means when it is joined with other blocks, it is 12". But before that, it must be 12.5' to allow for seam allowances. But instructions usually tell you the block size "finished".
    Been there, done that, as they say, and it can be confusing until you have made a few blocks, quilts etc.
    Theresa

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

I agree that if a block is too small or too big to use, it should be disqualified from the draw. Being a newbie to the Lotto, I personally would like to know if my blocks are not acceptable, so that I can learn from my mistakes. I measure accurately when cutting, use my 1/4" sewing foot (which I find a little too generous), so I try to not let the fabric go to the edge of the guide. Is being within 1/8" acceptable, or should they be re-done?

Also, do the winners of the monthly draws get announced for all to see?

Joan

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Joan, the winners get posted. On the 1st of the month, I send a list of the participants to someone (whoever is on-line at the time) and let them randomly assign numbers to each entry. If someone sent three blocks then they get three numbers. They send the list back to me so two of us know which number(s) goes with which quilter. Someone else on line then picks a number. Bingo! That's the winner. Click on the link below and scroll down to the entries on Feb 1st to see the process and the winner.

We'll be picking the February winner on Thursday March 1st. Tune in to the Feb Lotto thread that evening!

Anything within 1/4" is fine. We should all be able to ease that in to fit with another block. If you are measuring when you cut and keeping a 1/4" seam allowance, your blocks will be fine and not something you should be concerned about. Even if you don't have a 12.5" square ruler, any ruler can be used to help you see if your block is OK or not. I love my square one because I can see if my block is nicely squared up or if it's kind of wonky, but that's not a requirement.

Hope that helps!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: January 2012 Lotto thread (

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One of the reasons it's difficult to lay out all the blocks for a picture is that I want the winner to know who made them. Most people have just included a card in the package. If I lay them all out I'm afraid I'll lose cards or mix them up. Would it be too much to ask that the quilters attach their name to each block?

I always write my forum name and real name along one of the seam allowances with a fabric pen. The pens aren't expensive and are available at Joann's, Michaels and any fabric shop. It's what I use to do my quilt labels. I've never had one bleed through any fabric.

Some quilters attached a tiny name tag to the back of each block with a pin, a staple or even a stitch or two.

What do you think? Is it a reasonable request that the back of each block be labeled in some way?

Example:
    {{!gwi}}

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I like to have the name in the seamline....I forgot to sign on this months blocks.....sorry. @:(

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Another idea, especially for the blocks we make on our own, would be to attach (somehow) the name of the block. There are a million star patterns and the winner might like to know the name of each one submitted.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, I think I learned the seamline signing trick from you. If I did, thanks!

Theresa, good idea about the name of the block! Not necessary for the months when we all do the same one, but in the Quilter's Choice months, we should do it.

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

oh shoot....just mailed my Feb blocks, but signing them is a great idea, esp for the winner!! That's a super idea.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, You're welcome. @:)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I read that you should press the writing with a hot iron to set the ink.

I also learned this trick from Sharon - thank you! It is cool to pull out the blocks days....ummmmmm.... months - okay years! later and see who made the blocks. I try to write everyone's names on the blocks I receive.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a good tip, MRG. When I do quilt labels with fabric pens I heat set them; I probably do it with the seamline writing too but admit I don't always think about it. I'll be sure to do that from now on.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know some of you are working ahead but probably haven't gotten to October yet. When you do, be careful to trim down your HST (half square triangle) squares to 3 1/2" once you make them. I wasn't very careful when I tried one last night and sewed it together without checking the HSTs. The whole block came out over 1/2" too big. I was able to take it apart and correct it, but I hate doing that.

I think we should submit them without eyes, nose and moustache. The winner will be able to complete their quilt, including the quilting, then add buttons, fuzzy or felt moustaches, etc to complete the project the way they want. Does that make sense? I'll post more about that when we get closer to the due date for that block.

Kate (Ho Ho Ho)

This is a picture of the block from quilterscache.com:

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Any 12.5" Santa Face or that particular block?
    It might be fun to include the embellishments for the eyes, nose & mustache- not attached--optional of course, just to make it easier for the winner to have a variety and not have to shop - just maybe she will get it made by the holiday :)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the block we'll use. The background shown in the image in gray can be gray or any sky-type fabric. Perfect for a snowy print, right?

Including the embellishments is a good plan and will add interesting variety to the quilt. That gives the winner the option to use what everyone sent or to add all her own for a more standardized look.

Kate

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Bump.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Just bumping this up, so everyone can browse the monthly block patterns as needed.

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

just a 'BUMP' because I was looking for the April pattern! Happy SPRING quilting!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bumping it up for Kristene!

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

Thanks Kate for all the information. Have posted my 2 April blocks so hope they make it to you before the end of the month

Kristene

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Need to mail the 3 May TODAY and find the June pattern! This lotto is fun!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a wonderful tutorial for making flying geese! Fast, Easy Flying Geese.

Magothyrivergirl found this tute and sent it to me. Thanks, Marsha!

No waste, very easy, very accurate. You'll have a chance to use it on the August lotto block: Dutchman's Puzzle which is made up of flying geese.

Kate

• Joan Dupuis
    11 years ago

Bump, so I don't have to look so long to see which block is for which month.

• lola99
    11 years ago

A few quick questions -

Kate, have you made samples of the August and September blocks yet? I like looking at your samples to make sure I'm on track, but if you haven't made them yet, I CAN follow the directions. :)

For the Dutchman's puzzle do you want the background color lighter than the flying geese, or any combination of autumn colors?

Math check - using the Fast, Easy Flying Geese link in your June 4 post above, I assume I'd want each unit to finish at 6" wide and 3" tall, so I'd cut four 3 7/8" squares out of my background fabric and one 7 1/4" square out of my goose fabric. Does this sound right?

Thanks,
    Lola

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

So glad someone asked. I didn't know about the list and samples. So expected to get some blocks made, but haven't yet. Maybe next month.

You've put a lot of work into this and they're wonderful. Enough ideas for dozens of quilts!

Thank you.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have made August but not Sept. I'll post August later today.
    I think a lighter background for the Dutchmans: cream, beige, ivory works so well with the oranges, browns, golds, reds and purples of Autumn.

There are a lot of ways to make flying geese so its probably best to look at the instructions to get dimensions.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my 3 August blocks:

I used a lighter background on mine but I've already received some with beautiful gold and tan backgrounds.

Click on the link in the 1st post in this message thread for
    Dutchman's Puzzle instructions.

Kate

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Very pretty...now it's time to head up to the machine!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Bump...

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't posted September yet, but I'm jumping ahead to October and the Santa Face block.

Here are my three blocks, without eyes, nose, moustashe:

Sorry the shadows make it hard to see details. I'll take a better picture later.

And here's one of the blocks with just the button eyes and a batting moustashe set on there so you can see how it's going to look.
    I still think we should make and send them without the accouterments attached. The winner can add what they like to finish it off after they put the blocks together and quilt it.

Kate
    (The block isn't as wonky as it looks in the picture. I set it on the grass so it was in full sun for the picture and it came out looking uneven.)

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

so cute!! I love that curly beard fabric!! How cool is that!!!! It looks a lil tricky...

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is tricky, Beth; I won't kid you about that. But it's fun!

Here are my November blocks. This one is both easy and fun. Fun because it's just HSTs and the results are so pretty. These colors blend so well.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a link to the discussion we've had about the December lotto. I'll be posting both the November and December lotto pages at the same time, probably around the middle of October to give everyone ample time to work on them before the Holidays make life crazy (and hopefully crazy-good) for us all.
    December '12 lotto discussion

And here's a picture of the Circle of Geese block. Don't be shy! Give it a try! Links to instructions and templates can be found at the link.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

I found this mustache template on Pinterest.

It might be helpful for the winner!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn, those are perfect! I can see Santa with a variety of 'stashes. Too cute!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Hi Kate, on the November block photos you posted it almost looks like a white fabric used in some of the blocks - is it white or just such a light blue that it looks white? I currently have dark & light green, dark & light blue, and dark & light purple fabrics. We are still doing for November strictly light and dark green, light and dark blue and light and dark purples right??

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup, it's just a bad picture. Lights and darks of blues, greens, purples. There are no whites or creams in the blocks I posted. Colors are much prettier in person than in the picture. I'm blaming my "ancient" iPhone3 camera and using that as an excuse to get the newest iPhone release!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Have fun with the new toy. I had to replace one after it wore out so I still have almost a year to wait before I can get a new one on my plan :-((

Nice knowing the colors. Are they the ones we should be choosing too?

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

just doing a 'bump'. Totally missed the September blocks. :( Fabric was all washed and ready, but time never did allow. Maybe I can do Santa!! :)

• lola99
    11 years ago

Beth, thanks for bumping this up. I made a Santa block a few weeks ago, but forgot about it and have not mailed it yet.

Kate, do we have an October Lotto post? I couldn't find one, but maybe I missed it.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Overwhelmed by job at the moment. Will try to update tonight, but might not be until tomorrow.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

OK! I'm confused. I only find page three of the directions for the Santa Face block and now that I'm almost finished cutting it dawns on me I don't know how to make that little part with the red triangle and the white band???

Are there more of the directions available somehow, or did everyone else just wing it????
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

OK! I'm confused. I only find page three of the directions for the Santa Face block and now that I'm almost finished cutting it dawns on me I don't know how to make that little part with the red triangle and the white band???
    Are there more of the directions available somehow, or did everyone else just wing it????
    LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Quiltnhen -

On the first page of the Santa pattern, go down to one of the last lines where you see the moustache along the left side of the text, follow that line all the way to the right and you will find the link to Page 2. Lois

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Sorry Kate, but I didn't get the Santa face finished at camp and since I'm travelling still in the US, I won't have time to finish it. so don't wait for an Oct lotto block from me, because it won't be coming! Hopefully I will be able to get Nov & Dec completed when I get home.

Kristene

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Thanks to those who offered help on the Santa block. Obviously it was much easier with the instructions, but I still managed to cut the tiny red triangle too short the first time. Got it now and will mail off at least one tomorrow.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Sent the santa block this a.m. Should get there with time to spare this time I hope.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew this month would be busy but it's been more overwhelming than I expected. Sorry to be so absent lately!

A big thanks to those of you who have kept up the interest in the lotto! This is going to be a great month and these blocks will make an outrageously cute holiday quilt!!!

Kate

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

okay...one santa block is done.... lil tricky, yes, but cute. will try to do a couple more if I have time before the mailing deadline. My little granddaughter helped me stack the fabric this afternoon...cut for four blocks so she had to test her division skills (3rd grade) to make sure all the fabric was divided equally for the four blocks. We used some wood 'dots' and a napkin for the eyes n moustache!!! ...just for the picture....

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

REally cute beth7!