Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

Binding video

cannahavana
12 years ago

I came across a video that shows a good way to sew on binding by machine on both sides. I have had a hard time trying to figure out a good way to sew binding on by machine and make it look good on both sides. I don't mind hand sewing the binding on to the back, I actually enjoy that part. But, when doing quilts for Quilts for Kids, they want you to machine sew the binding on. Can't wait to try it!

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Machine sew binding video

Comments (5)

• itsmesuzq
    12 years ago

I just watched the video and then looked at her web page. Binding has always been my weak spot! I really like the simple and easy to understand tutorials. Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of her before.

Susan

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I think the method would/does work well, but in my experience, you'd have to bring the binding over the stitching line a little more than 'just touching' otherwise you'd end up missing sections when top stitching from the front. You wouldn't be able to see what you missed until you were all done...then you'd have to go back and redo sections.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I stitch all my bindings by machine now. I have practiced until I was really pleased with the outcome, keeping a written log of what worked and didn't & what I liked. I looked at sooooo many You Tubes. Leah Day, linked below, is close to what I do. Depending on the quilt, I use a blanket stitch or a regular straight stitch. Most all my bindings are French fold - double bias - cut 1 7/8" resulting in a full small binding.
    I sew on the back side and flip to the front in order to topstitch. I have a Pfaff, built in IDT (small walking foot) and I bought a bilevel foot used for flat feld seams for jeans for instance, or uneven thickness top stitching. I flip the binding to the front, line up the fold just to the stitching - move the needle position, and topstitch on the edge. It lands onto the backside of the binding. The front is perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leah Day - Binding

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That has always been my problem, missing sections and just not looking nice and neat. I guess practice is the key! I have a Quilts for Kids kit on its way and will try this method to see if it works for me.

I have a bilevel foot and didn't think to use it. I've always used the walking foot.

Rebecca

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rebecca, I practiced on small strips of scraps (3 layers)-use contrasting thread so you can see it.
    I suggest you start using the blanket stitch - it is much more forgiving until you get comfortable with the method. I kept adjusting the stitch until it just took a bite on the binding, but still looked like a blanket stitch. Write down what you like and what works. I can't remember if I had the bilevel foot when I used the blanket stitch. But for the straight top stitching it is quick and perfect. My miters are better on the back than on the front for some reason.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator