Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

February 2011 Block Lotto

User
13 years ago

The block for this month is called "Anvil", and was chosen by mary_c. The colors for this month's block are bright tonals with a white background. This is a 12" finished block, so the blocks we turn in should measure within 1/4" of 12-1/2".

The pattern is located on quilterscache.com. The link to the pattern is below this message. Another message will follow with a link to the Google docs pages and a photo of this month's sample block.

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

One to two weeks prior to the first of the lotto month, the block pattern and colors are posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar (this covers all blocks sent, NOT $1/block) to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn that evening or on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner may choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list. If the winner opts to choose a block, a sample block must be received by the moderator by the end of the month prior to the posting date. For example, if you're choosing the March block, a sample must be received by the end of January. There is usually about a 3-4 month lead time between winning and the month's pattern posting, so you have lots of time to explore patterns and dream up color combinations!

Coordinator's Address:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

Here is a link that might be useful: Anvil

Comments (38)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And here's the link to a picture of the finished block.
    The photo is located on our Google Docs pages. Please feel free to explore them.

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Anvil Photo

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    my 3 are already done, I'll send them at the first of the month.
    michelle

• cziga
    13 years ago

excuse the stupid question but what exactly are bright tonals? :) Do you mean fabrics that are solid colour, no print or any embellishment?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary_c chose the pattern and colors for this block, so, Mary, please correct me if you meant something different from my interpretation.

I think of bright tonals as fabrics that are tone-on-tone. The one I used for the sample doesn't show up in the picture very well, but it has areas (sort of blotches) of a darker orange on the medium orange base. There isn't a pattern to it, but it's not really a solid. And by brights, I'm assuming any color would be okay as long as it's strong & stands out clearly against the white background. So, a pink would need to be cherry pink or fuschia or hot pink, not rose petal soft looking.

Did I get it right, Mary???

Kay

• cziga
    13 years ago

So basically tone-on-tone would be ok, it doesn't have to be a completely solid colour? That's basically what I was little confused about :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would think so, just so it's not "batik-y" and mixing colors.

• calliope
    13 years ago

You can put me down for one, just finished it. This one just fell together, it's so easy and very dramatic with the dark tonal against white. If you look at a fabric catalog by googling tonals, you'll find a lot of nice interpretations including a very soft floral tonal, tone on tone random. It's an interesting way to give the look of solid but still add some depth and interest.

If I get a chance, I may make more Kay...but just count me in on one for now.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, calliope, mine went together very fast, too. And the bright on white background is a nice contrast to the grey outside my windows for the past few weeks!

So, we're now at:

Kay, 1 done for now
    micyrey: 3
    Calliope: 1 for now

Also, just a general comment: Anytime anyone is sending me blocks for various lottos, please feel free to combine them into one package, it'll be cheaper to send together! Just don't forget the $1 for each lotto, since I do have to send them back out separately unless someone gets VERY lucky!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping to page 1 since it's almost February!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping to page 1...
    Who's in for this block? Very simple to make and striking when set together!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm in, just don't know for how many. I keep running out of white and off-white fabrics. I'm going to buy a yard of each this time!

Robbi

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry for not responding before, Kay! My computer died, and my DH is always on his, so I haven't been surfing the forums much.

Your explanation for "bright tonals" is right on - bright colors in fabrics that read as a solid from a distance, similar to the Fusion Florals in the below link (page down for more colorful and visible ones, LOL).

I will try to get at least one done, but with the snow and ice here in central Texas, I'm having a difficult time getting out to my studio in the garage, LOL. The deck between the house and garage has a half inch sheet of ice on it.

I know that's laughable for those of you who live in snowy climates, but this is highly unusual for us. I don't have the warm clothes or shoes to deal with it. We only get this kind of weather about once in five years.

Anyway - it's good to be connected again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fusion florals

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Count me in for 3..............Love this "game"!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle, your blocks arrived yesterday for February AND March! I'll try to get pics posted to the google pages later today.

This has been one BUSY lady getting all of these blocks done!

Also, Michelle has picked her color & pattern for July, AND sent in her sample block. Picture of that block is on the google pages as well for all who like to work ahead.

Kay: 1 done
    micyrey: 3, received
    buteau3rd: 3
    calliope: 1
    lafonda_ranch: in for ?
    mary_c: try for 1

Here is a link that might be useful: February 2011 Block Pictures

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

So far, I have one block done. Since there is still time left in the month and this one stitched up quickly, I will try for one more.

Robbi

• calliope
    13 years ago

I have two done Kate, have been holding off sending them, in case I get some time to do March's.

• polardream
    13 years ago

I will send 2 blocks tomorrow.
    Sue

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hurray, we have enough signed up for the winner to put together a very colorful quilt! Marge, yours arrived today.

buteau3rd: 3, received
    calliope: 2
    lafonda_ranch: in for ?
    polardream: 2

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

I'm really sorry, but it's just not going to happen this month. I can't make any blocks.

I just heard that my beloved grandmother Nonie died. Not really a shock, she was 99, but I must travel for her funeral. I'm sorry to be so terse, but I am a bit weepy at the moment.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry. After my grandmother died, I spent a whole day in the garden, planting onions. That was over 30 years ago, but I remember how healing it was to be creating something new at that time, while remember all the good times we'd had together. I hope you know of a way to help you cope with this sadness.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry. After my grandmother died, I spent a whole day in the garden, planting onions. That was over 30 years ago, but I remember how healing it was to be creating something new at that time, while remember all the good times we'd had together. I hope you know of a way to help you cope with this sadness.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kay, I'm signing up to do a quick 2. That will be my 'new' project to hold me off for awhile. I've been attempting to get some WIPs done before starting new things, but it's hard!! This will cut me some slack in the 'new' department!

~Cindy

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm putting 2 blocks in the mail this afternoon.

Robbi

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Well, I forgot the post office is closed today! So, tomorrow, they will be in the mail :-)

Robbi

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kay,

My 2 will go in the mail tomorrow along with 3 for March. A rare moment when I'm ahead of the game, I know!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, your very nicely made blocks arrived over the weekend.

lafonda_ranch: 2
    polardream: 2, received
    quiltpartner: 2

We're now up to 16 blocks on their way! And those received have posed for their photos. See the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: February Pictures

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to account for Mary's loss in the tally. The count for February is 15.

Don't forget that this is a short month, so the blocks need to be mailed soon to arrive here by Monday!

lafonda_ranch: 2
    polardream: 2, received
    quiltpartner: 2

• calliope
    13 years ago

I intended on mailing them today, but it's snowing and a glare of ice. Mine have been done for quite awhile. It's to warm up tomorrow a bit and I know I'll be going out to the farm to babysit my g'son.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Thoughts are with Mary and the loss of her g'mother. I'm sorry. Also Kay....hubby mailed my blocks this a.m. It's thawing here.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, ready for a drum roll? All traveling blocks arrived over the weekend, so we have 15 blocks here, with 3 entries not in the drawing. I'm abstaining from entry, so I get to pick the winner, whoo-hoo! Just glad it's not a contest, I'd make a terrible judge, I like all the blocks!

So, the name out of the hat to win the Anvil blocks is........................................................................polardream!!!!

What a colorful quilt these blocks will make!

And your month for choosing a block will be August, with choice and photo or sample to me by July 1, please. OR if you prefer to not choose, just let me know!

Congratulations, polardream!

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Anvil Blocks

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

congrats.. I cant wait to see how it turns out, this one will be rilly colorfull
    michelle

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Congratulations Sue. Those blocks will make a bright cheery quilt for someone.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Congratulations Sue!! Can't wait to see how these all look in a quilt - so bright & spring-y.
    Kay, thank you for making it so easy to see the blocks. Posting the links is just great! - as are you! :)

• calliope
    13 years ago

Whoo Hoo! Congrats to Sue. And I'm a poet and didn't know it! LOL

• polardream
    13 years ago

WOW - I am pleasantly surprised! Thank you everyone ... now I have to put on my thinking cap & figure out a fun block for August! Thanks everyone for participating - I am looking forward to putting this together - I think it will be fun.
    Sue

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Congrats!! That will be such a pretty quilt when you get it put together.

• polardream
    13 years ago

Kay, I wanted to let you know that my blocks arrived today - it will be fun to put together!
    Sue

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see them!