Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

BOMs (Block of the Month)

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

Do you like to do BOMs? I did two free BOMs in 2012. One was the Hello Sun at Making Ends Meet and the other was the free BOM at Craftsy. I got a bit behind in November and December because of the Christmas quilting. This week I finished the Hello Sun blocks and made a small quilt top with them.
Craftsy is doing a new BOM for 2013 but I haven't decided if I want to do it again this year.
Last year I enjoyed the Craftsy blocks because 3 friends and I went to a LQS and each bought a yard of several different Amy Butler fabrics.Together we had all the prints in that line of fabric. We cut the yards into fat quarters and traded with each other. We each then had a FQ of each fabric. We used this fabric to make the Craftsy BOMs. It was fun seeing how each used the fabric.
So, my question to you is, do you do BOMs and are you making any this year?
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Hello Sun BOM quilt

Comments (8)

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I'm still working on my Dear Jane. That one is a 2 year commitment and they're sending month 18 this week. I have 2 blocks to do and 2 rows to assemble and I'm caught up. So, not too bad since I was over 2 months behind a few weeks ago!!

I've started a few other BOM's, but none of them are done. I'm hoping I can get caught up or done on a few as soon as my Dear Jane is caught up. My kids activities have slowed down and with the holiday's over, I can do more sewing these days (yeah!!).

That Hello Sun, is adorable!! I'd be interested in seeing the new Craftsy one for this year. Have they posted it yet?

Robbi

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Linda, your quilt is so cheerful! I've never done a BOM, but I'd like to sometime.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have done our guild's BOM a couple of times, and in 2011 I did a free Civil War BOM from Nancy Rink, but in general I don't care for sampler quilts so I'm not usually tempted by BOMs. Especially kitted ones where they send you the fabric each month. When I start adding up how much they cost I quickly change my mind!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

BOM's can get pretty pricey when they're the kitted ones where they send you the fabric. I have one more month to go with the one I'm doing from keepsakequilting (final cost of $444 in 6 months, not to mention the binding, backing, and batting). I justified it because I normally quilt for others, I've never done a BOM before, and I'd been looking at/wishing for/dreaming of this quilt since it was introduced last year. It'll be awhile before I pay for another one, but even though I haven't started working on it yet, I have what I need to make a quilt I'll enjoy putting together and will enjoy when it's done. Putting it together is one of my quilting resolutions for this year.
    That Hello Sun Quilt looks like a lot of fun, so I'm going to download the instructions for it in a few minutes. I'll be checking out the one at Craftsy too. Thanks for sharing Linda! I'm not in a local quilting guild, so having you all here in the quilting forum is simply great!
    Take care!
    Dan

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

Your Hello Sun came out really cute. I still have November and December of the Hello Sun to finish. I definitely will see what she does this year, her designs are so cute.

I enjoy doing a block a month and I only had to buy backing fabric for the Sun, everything else was from stash. I still want to do the 2012 Craftsy and signed up for 2013 Craftsy as well.

I also started a thread with free BOM quilts for 2013. There are some fun ones and if you use stash it's not so expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 free boms

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Sun was a lot of fun last year. If anyone wants the patterns, you should download them now. She is going to remove them when she starts a new BOM for 2013.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Hello Sun patterns

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I really like your Hello. Sun, I have small collection of various types of suns hanging in my sun room..but now it needs a sun quilt...thanks for sharing! Will go download it now.

I did one BOM in 2012 while taking a quilting class, but the fabric strips supplied by the instructor were not to my taste so, I ended up using my own stash and have 12 blocks that someday I may assemble...like another,msmeow, I'm not a big fan of sampler quilts. Having said that, I do like what I see on Craftsy...so maybe....

I agree with others, I'm not a fan of kitted BOM etc. so I pick and spend based on my preferences.

V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Your Hello Sun quilt turned out really cute, Linda. I think I would like to do a themed BOM.....free, of course and from my own stash. I don't need any more stars and I already have a bunch of houses.....baskets? animals? flowers? primitive? Thinking, thinking, thinking...... I already have so many UFO's I feel really guilty starting another.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor