Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Serpentine Stitch

ritaweeda
12 years ago

Have any of you ever used the Serpentine Stitch selection to machine quilt? If so, did it turn out OK? I've googled it and some have used it with success, now I'm asking by best quilting buddies about it. I don't want to tackle another free-motion attempt with this quilt, it's got a lot of straight lines and I want to get it done quickly and simply, but not so simple as straight-line quilt-in-the-ditch. I've sampled this with my walking foot to make sure it can handle it and it can. The only drawback I can think of before diving in is that I would have to make sure that I start at the edge and continue straight across every time so as not to break the sequence.

Comments (15)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I did one quilt using that stitch. I liked how it turned out.
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I have used it and liked it too. If you keep the seam of the blocks in the center of the foot it works great. I still do QITD but this stitch doesn't stand out if you get a little off track like the QITD does.
    Rosa

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just got back from the LQS, bought some King Tut thread, I'm going to try it. Thanks for the input. Today is a good day to quilt, lots of rain, which we needed badly so I'm not complaining.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW! I've already made 5 passes down the length of this quilt, and I am loving it! This is a very linear quilt (Chinese Coins) and it looks like this will be finished very quickly. I highly recommend it if you have a design like this and want to get it done quickly. It's very forgiving, too, just as Rosa said, just keep the seam line right in the middle and any jigs or jags aren't even noticed.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

That looks like a neat stitch to have. Too bad I don't have it :(

I think it'll had nice movement to a Chinese Coin quilt!

• User
    12 years ago

What, no pictures? Stop teasing!

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's what it looks like, hope it shows up.

{{!gwi}}

Haven't decided about the seams between the squares or rectangular coins yet, might just do every other one. This is a Chinese Coins, but in between rows I made strips of square blocks shown here.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I have that stitch! I have to try it on a seam. I have used it as a background filler before appliqueing.
    I like it! Thanks for the picture, and the suggesting another use for it. I largely ignore almost all my fancy stitches :).
    Pretty fabrics.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Make sure that you check your walking foot that the opening where the needle goes down can accommodate this. I adjusted the width of this stitch to 6 and the stitch length to 4. I have a Viking.

• faintheart
    12 years ago

I've used the serpentine quilting just a bit inside seam lines on narrow borders. I like the look you've created here very much! Please post a pic when you've finished.

Dee

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

I like this stitch. Wish my machine had it. I just have a regular Singer sewing machine.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Rita, that looks great! I like it much better than SITD.

kate

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

I am glad you posted this. I have this stitch & used it once on a small wall hanging. I may just use on a big quilt that I will soon have the top finished.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I have the Serpentine stitch in four variations on my Viking.
    But a person can adjust any one of them for length and width, to make a multitude of new stitches. I've used it several times over seam lines, which makes for some very fast quilting! If you want to make up a quick gift quilt, just sew up a Trip Around The World pattern, or diagonal squares, then quilt with the Serpentine stitch. Zoom, zoom, done!

Julie

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

I appreciate the posting on this.I spent quite a bit of time checking the web page out. Lots of great ideas. Thanks for posting.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH