Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QofTD 1/17/12 Do you audition your bindings?

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

Before you sew your bindings onto your quilt, do you audition them - lay them carefully around the quilt to make sure none of the seams are at a corner - and of course to make sure you have enough binding?

I do, and I try to be very careful. I pin exactly where I will begin stitching on the quilt & on the binding. I lay it carefully around the quilt, making sure no seams at at corners. So why oh why - do I bother???? Yesterday, I put binding on 2 quilts - both made from batiks - and both quilts had a seam directly at a mitered corner. I could not have planned it better if I had wanted a seam to fall at a corner!

I'm thinking if I did not take the time to audition the binding , maybe the law of averages would be on my side, and I would have better luck, because clearly I am not careful enough. :)

Do you bother to lay out your bindings around your quilt before you attach it?

Comments (15)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I don't audition :). I always make at least 6" more binding than I need, so rarely end up short. I do occasionally end up with seams in or near the corners, but once the quilt is done I can't tell. I always sew the binding strips with diagonal seams so it doesn't seem to matter much.

Donna

• fran1523
    12 years ago

No I've never bothered to audition the binding, and I've only ended up with a seam in the corner one time. I always make sure the bindings are at least 10 or 12" longer than needed.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I use the "hold 'em up, squint, pick one and jump right in" method. Works for me!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I always make sure the binding is long enough then start at a place where I know the first seam won't end up at a mitre. After that, it is what it is. @:)

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I sort of "loosely" run the binding by hand around the quilt edge to see if any seams fall at the corners, but that's about it.

Teresa

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I've never done that and never even thought of it. I guess I've been lucky that the seam never wound up at the mitered corner, but not sure I would be upset if it did. Does it cause problems? I do audition to see if the color/print is OK for that particular quilt, though, and I make it more than long enough to go all the way around.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Marsha Marsha Marsha,
    Why are you doing this to me lol!!!! I have never had a binding seam land on the corner and never thought about it.

And you know that NOW every binding I sew on this is going to happen!!

I always measure the quilt and the binding so I do have enough binding, and I make sure it is about 6-8 inches longer.

I guess I do sometimes audition the fabric for the binding, but I usually use the same fabric that is in the quilt. I like a thin binding that blends in, but on a baby or youth quilt I like bolder bindings. I have no idea why lol!!!!

My problem with bindings is I really have to struggle to get the end to look nice and not lumpy! I enjoy the handwork but I always dread getting to the end!
    Rosa

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I have never auditioned my bindings, and so far have not encountered a seam at the corners.
    But OMG! I bet that will some day happen!

Thanks for the heads up, and I will definitely audition from now on.

Julie

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I don't audition my binding but I do measure carefully. I usually plan on extra length and allow for mitering. I always start my binding in the middle of quilt side and have never ended at a miter. I still have not mastered connecting the 2 ends using a diag. seam but I am working on it.

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Interesting question. I pretty much do what Tersa does, and still I sometimes get the darn thing in the corner. When this happens, depending on who the quilt is for, I will stop - trim back and do another joining and hope for the best with the other corners. Lucky to all of you have not had this problem with your binding.I envy you!

I have figured a way to get the (last) ends to miter well, works for me but it is one of those things you need to be shown how to do to make it work successfully.

Barbara

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Jayne, I have watched videos and they make it look so easy, but I still can't make the ends look like theirs. I even take the quilt and lay it out, press and glue and get very frustrated with it!!

I want to make some pot holders and maybe that will help me to figure it out!!!
    Rosa

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

I have only auditioned them for color, and to see if they're long enough. It never occurred to me to check for seam placement. I used a bright print binding for the first time on my last quilt and it turned out pretty cute!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Rosa, This is how I start and finish my binding......you'll have to scroll down a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting and Stopping

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

No, I never do and the last quilt I made the binding came out exactly right. I didn't have to cut it or anything. I was amazed at that! I kept thinking I'm going to have to stop and add to this but I didn't. This is the first and last time that will ever happen I'm sure.

Vicky

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I always cut ample binding and the run it around the quilt loosely like Teresa does to position the seams far from the corners.

For the final join, I use the technique where you mark a diagonal on each end of the binding and machine stitch it. It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but it has never failed for me in the ten times I've used it. I'll see if I can find a tutorial on it. The final join is just the same as any other seam, so you never notice where you stopped.

I do audition the fabric choice for binding. It can be such an addition to the quilt.