Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

quilted curtains? And jean rag suggestion.

vicky4x4
16 years ago

I would like to make curtains for my sewing room. Do you think it would look ok to make a strip of pieced blocks along just the bottom of the curtain? Has anyone made quilted curtains before? Should there be batting in them or not? It would have to be backed so the seams don't show. Anyone have ideas for me out there?

I'm bogged down with cutting out denim squares right now. I need 150 of them! But I have to say this the best thing one can do it go to rummage sales and buy huge jeans. I got 30 squares out of 1 pair of pants!!!! All for 50 cents.

Vicky

Comments (5)

• love2sew
    16 years ago

I thnk curtains with quilt blocks across the bottom would be so cute. Yes, I would line them, at least, where the quilt blocks are.

I went to a rummage sale and got 6 men's shirts for $2. I am collecting neutral colors to make a scrap quilt from quiltville called Smokey Mountain Stars. My hands won't handle denimn so have fun with your rag quilt.
    Jean

• nana24
    16 years ago

Vicky,
    When my grandchildren were younger I made curtains for the room we had for a play room. We moved and the children are older with no need for a playroom so I cut the curtains as they were too short for my sewing room and just made a valance from them. The curtain is just plain pocket rod and the bottom is a row of paper pieced blocks with initials of each child and a block for their birthday. They are 6" blocks set together with 2' strips. I put a backing but no batting just in the area behind the blocks. The purpose was to cover the seams. We all like them and the children like to pick out the blocks that are especially for them.

In my laundry room, I have just a valance on which I machine appliqued some random strip blocks and a piece of machine embroidery.

I think your idea sounds great.
    Sally

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Ditto, what the others said. It sounds like a very nice idea. I have simple squares set on point for valances in our kitchen, and I made them so that the unbleached muslin that is the main fabric provides a lining for the colored squares.

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

I'm planning on making PP apples curtains for my kitchen and I thought I would line them and maybe use some flannel for batting and then quilt--just valences--that's all I use in the kitchen. I have a plan in my head but must finish a wall hanging first--will let you know how it comes out. I think your idea sounds really cute.

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Vicky I just finished a lap size demin raggedy quilt for my nephew.
    CLIP AS YOU GO AND CLIP OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I waited and clipped mine (6 inch finished) at the end and it was hard on my hands.
    My sewing room faces the West and has 2 large windows. In the summer it will be 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Even in winter if it is sunny it is toasty.
    I am making quilted curtains for the windows and I am using batting and backing to keep the blocks from fading so fast and for insulation.
    Rosa