Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Snow coming in!!

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

Well, we're on snow watch. Depending on which channel you listen to, we could be anywhere from 4" - 12" ! Should start within the hour and snow until midnight. Yeah, that might accumulate a little! lol

One would hope to spend a day like this sewing... And I even cut fabric for Lotto blocks and have it sitting ready. But the dilemma is.... Snow or School?? We didn't do school yesterday, so can I afford to be lazy on school today?? Will we have many snow days to play with?? I'm very torn. DH is home today as well, so that makes school hard...but then it also makes hiding in my sewing room hard. Grrrr; don't know how the day will go.

Anyway, Valarie...You are probably already seeing the white stuff! And Donna, you're in the area too, right? Marsha, it's coming your way too! Everyone in the snow range: Stay safe and warm!!!

Comments (27)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Hey Jen - the weird thing - the wind is blowing hard here from the East - so we think it is keeping the snow away for now, but the radar says its coming! Yay! (NOT)
    I need to take my pooch to the Vet and some soup prepared as I am having shoulder surgery later in the week - so lots to do to get ready -- we did buy a big snowblower since hubby should not shovel snow and I cannot right now -- and I love to shovel snow -- really I do!
    I am trying to cut out 120 4.5" squares, hoping I will be able to sew a little after the surgery. My goal is to make 120 snowball blocks during the recuperation time if I can. I already got 190 2.5" squares cut. I bought a Klutz Glove to use-- It is constructed & sewn so poorly Fons & Porter should hide in shame!

Jen - teach 'Weather' today and when the first flake falls --early dismissal! It is hard to concentrate when waiting for snow ~LOL~

Hope everyone stays safe and warm & keeps electricity.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

It's here! Snowing sideways -- :)

Snow always makes me feel like a little kid, (unless I'm stuck on the road for hours)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jen, if it snows here in central FL I will be shocked! LOL Though it has snowed about 3 times that I can remember.

They did say it's supposed to freeze tonight. That probably means Mark will get another day off. :(

Donna

• bev2009
    10 years ago

radar shows snow just to the west a few miles, but here in an hour. since i an not going anywhere anyway, i'll just enjoy

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Donna. Guess it's not going to snow for you! There is someone else here in VA, though...

Started snowing here at 11:00 on the dot! Things are dusted white and it's coming steadily.

Kids are getting to school now, but I was nice and gave them a light load.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

No snow for me either but if 12" of snow is EVER predicted for central florida I think we should gather all the local quilters for a sewing day! I have a generator so I know we could keep our machines going.

Jen, I was going to be a bad influence and vote for snow day instead of school so it's probably good you started before I posted. Really though, snow days are special fun and shouldn't be missed! Here we call them Hurricane Days and they usually are accompanied by terror and no power. That's why we got the generator!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Enjoy your snow. We are supposed to get sleet tonight, I'd so much rather have snow especially since I have to leave for work at 6 in the morning.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Well I'm late coming to the table...but yes it has snowed all day and it's still coming down somewhat (8:35pm). Jen, I would have voted for a snow day, so I'm glad I didn't see your post till tonight...although I'm glad you went easy on the kids!

I left work around 12:30, arrived home about 1:30 and for some reason needed to bake a cake. Something baking in the oven,snow coming down and I had the afternoon free. Around 2:30 I hunkered down in the sewing room till 6ish...such fun!!! I need to wait in the morning till the sun comes up before DH can plow the driveway , so I'll make it to work...at some point on Wed. ... unless of course it's another liberal leave day :-)!!!!

Valarie

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I have to laugh at you enthusiasm for snow........at 5 deg. and falling, snow covering on everything it is difficult to share you fun. Must be the rarity. lol

• bev2009
    10 years ago

we only got 1" of snow, but my sister 30 miles away got over a foot. that's how lake effect works. we have another chance tomorrow

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I have driven through snow, but actually watched it fall for the first time a few years ago in SE Georgia. It was amazing and I made a pitiful little snowman.

The next day I froze my butt off and everything was mushy as it melted.

Our weather has been cold but sunny this week. Yesterday our neighbor's plastic (?) shed thingie was picked up by wind gusts and thrown over our six foot fence into my rose bushes, frame and everything.

This is the second time, the first one was Easter, you'd think he would have learned how to tie it down by now lol!

Marsha, best wishes for fast healing!
    Rosa

• byrdseay
    10 years ago

We got about 5" in Hampton,VA. It was/is beautiful. School is closed again tomorrow :0

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we ended up with maybe 3"...not quite what they'd been calling for! lol

Schools will be closed again tomorrow b/c the side roads are still snowy/icy. I could almost predict that they'll call off for Friday as well.... Who wants to open up & heat the schools for one day; plus, the upper levels are about to take exams. They'll find an excuse to not do that on a 1-day week.

We're waiting to hear if our homeschool activities are open for tomorrow.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

All we got was cold and cold. I'd love to see some snow next week. After today I am off for 7 days!

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have the cold too! It has warmed up to 4 degrees!

This white stuff will be around for awhile at these temps. That's nice for the kids...usually it melts within 2 days.

Enjoy your week off and get some sewing done!!!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I watched Nightline and they aired a town in MN as the coldest spot in the country. I was surprised, I thought Alaska would be!

The town was minus 17 and they were having races and competitions with their Canadian neighbors. They were not as bundled up as I would have been in that weather.

Our heat is on 64 and is running continuously, it bothers my allergies so much. I sat in front of the fireplace and knitted last night. Stay warm everyone!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

They said on the news even us here in central Louisiana could get a light dusting of snow tonight or Friday morning, but not holding my breath. I think the last time we had a light snow was 2010. More concerned about getting ice, but hopefully whatever we get won't be much. We have a generator too ... for hurricanes.

Marsha I hope your shoulder heals up fast.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rosa, The temp here was colder than Alaska last night. Strange. Just a few more nights and it should start to warm up again. I think cabin fever is setting in early.

Beverly, You will feel like you're on vacation! Seven days off? hip hip hooray!!!!

Jen, Are you not allowed to have school when public schools are closed?

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Sharon, I make the rules so of course, we can have school when the public school is closed, but is it fair to do that?? "All the other kids don't have to do school?"

Really, my kids don't know any better; we beat by a different drum. I gave them work the day it was actually snowing and we were inside, then I gave them a 'snow day' yesterday when they were able to go out and play in it with the neighborhood kids.

Public school was closed again today (& I expect will be tomorrow too) but we had extra curricular activities that weren't shut down, so we did those. I refuse to pay good $$ for something and then miss it for no good reason. So today was music classes and physical education class.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring!?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I was thinking I would do the same thing. Have school, because you can, and then on a nice day, head out and do whatever. I imagine tomorrow will be whatever you feel like doing. lol

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Schools are closed here in the parishes in central Louisiana Friday, tomorrow, due to snow and ice.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 19:16

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

This pic was taken under a tree in the back yard at my back door at about 6:58 pm tonight. Can't wait to see the rest of the yard in the morning. Yay!!! It's snowing!!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Snow is Louisianna!!! well I never would have thought...

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's been snowing since about 6:30pm and is now after 10pm and still snowing. And this pic was taken under a tree, can't wait to see what the rest of the yard looks like in the morning. Will have to go outside and play in the snow with my son in the morning.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

We got about 2 to 3 inches of snow and it's almost noon and has not melted yet still freezing temps outside. My mom who lives about an hour southwest of me got 3 to 4 inches of snow.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Sure is pretty when it's infrequent and short lived!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I agree Linda. I don't like icy roads. We got to have a day and half of snow while staying here at home, and it will melt tomorrow afternoon and things will get back to normal. It's quite surprising we have gotten snow twice in the past 4 years. As a child growing up near here I can only recall it snowing several inches 1 time.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!