Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

Steam or Dry

littlehelen_gw
11 years ago

I took a class during 2012, where the quilt store owner/instructor, was adamant about using a dry iron only when pressing blocks. Seemed to make sense that using steam could stretch the block/fabric...then I learned many an experienced quilter uses steam only when pressing blocks. I get it that it may be how you do the pressing....but yet I still need to inquire...Are you a dry iron or steam iron user?

V.

Comments (7)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I only use dry but have a spritz bottle nearby for when I need it to tame something unruly.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Let me first say that I love steam, but......
    I do as toolgranny --- I think block/seam distortion also depends on the Witchy Iron itself-the size and holes and the shape of the sole-plate all play a part in the pressing saga.

I have always had a hate-hate-hate relationship with most irons :) Always have a spare.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Me, too.......dry with a bottle nearby.....spray, that is. Although, I think the 'other' kind might be helpful at times!

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Depending on what I am making I use both. I always iron my fabric before cutting and use steam. I use a lot of starch as I press the blocks and then I switch to no steam.

I have a new iron that seems to be making noises when I put it on steam so I'm being careful.

Many of the TV shows I have watched use steam to press. It's a personal preference to me, same as washing fabrics before using them in a quilt. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't lol!!!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Always dry! But I keep a spray bottle handy too. (Sharon I totally agree!)

Kate

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Speaking of a "love/hate" relationship with irons I top the list!
    I have mostly used steam but after my last iron died I brough out an old iron I had which I bought to do fuse pressing that was only dry with no holes and did as the other with a spray bottle... That worked but I found that I like the results of steam better so after about 6 mo. I decided to buy another steam iron (T-fal) which is working.
    I feel that it is more "how" you use the steam iron then the steam that distorts the block. I also like the "burst" of steam that I can use with stubburn areas.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Appreciate everyone's feedback...I think we mostly agree...it's in the "how".

I'm using an old GE iron...but it's getting time to invest in a new one that will not spew forth black yuk if on steam, which is the only way I can remove wrinkles after washing fresh fabric. I've experienced no damaged as of yet...but know it is a matter of time.

Suggestions on irons? I've heard T-fal (a good name I understand)' any other recommendations ?

V.

V.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County