Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Adding machine tape

nannykins
9 years ago

Has anyone used this for paper piecing?
I finished up the Spider Web blocks yesterday and am thinking about borders. Since I still have lots of bits and pieces, I am thinking of a piano key border. It would seem to me that using the tape would help keep things in line. I was in the local thrift store last week and saw some rolls but did not pick them up.
Any thing to watch out for if I do use the tape? Other suggestions?
Theresa

Comments (12)

• new2quilting
    9 years ago

Would just be careful that the adding machine paper isn't thermal paper. That has chemicals which react with heat and changes colors, wouldn't want that around fabric.

I made a piano key border without any paper and didn't seem to have much trouble keeping it straight. Just made sure all the keys were the same size.

• nannykins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still debating what to do. Thanks for the heads up about thermal paper.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I'm not a good one to comment about paper-piecing since I really don't care for it, but do understand the need for it in certain instances of getting those very precise points, etc. I've seen a few patterns that were paper-pieced that I liked and just did them without the paper. I get that there's more stability if it's needed, but when using good fabric, the pieces aren't tiny, tiny, there aren't any points to consider, IMO, it isn't needed.

Theresa, You're a pro and I don't think you need paper for a piano key border.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Sharon for your kind words.
    I had just been thinking this week how very amateurish my first quilts were back in the 80's, poly-cotton fabric, poly batting etc. The designs and sewing were ok though.
    I met a friend in the grocery store this morning and she commented on the quilt I had made for her son over 25 years ago. It was one of those early ones. I was very pleased to hear her say she still had it and it was treasured.
    I do hope I have improved over time but I wouldn't call myself a pro.
    A downside of using the tape is that it is only 3 inches wide so the border would end up rather narrow.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I have never used adding machine tape, but I have read that it works and it is a wonderful, ongoing way to use up your scraps.
    If you haven't seen this, I've linked to a great tutorial.

Good advice to use plain rolls - NOT thermal or 2 part.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper rolls - piano keys

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Neat link, Marsha! TFS

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Marsha...very cool idea, but why would you a paper piece this, why not just sew the strips then cut to the width desired? Is the paper adding stability?
    V.

• nannykins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Valarie, if you read some of the posts on the thread Marsha linked to, you will see that question asked many times.
    The answer seems to be that the paper does add stability especially when using strips that may have bias edges.
    What I decided to do is just piece without paper. We will see how that turns out.
    Theresa

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I found some old rolls of paper while cleaning out my grandmother's house. Haven't tried it yet, but "someday" I will clean out my scraps and see how it works.

beverly

• nannykins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think another reason to use paper is this. If you are making a very long piano key,(without paper) the longer it gets, the more chance of it going wonky.The paper will keep it true.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

The paper makes sense, sure like this idea for those little strips I hesitate to trash!
    And the scrap pile grows....
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Bonnie Hunter uses phone book pages "to tame" her scraps & strips for making scrappy piano key borders and sashings. Using BH & tame in the same sentence makes me laugh :)

Look at some Quilt Cams a few months backs and you will see her method.
    This way you can make a wider border.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource