Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Jan. 16-18

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I haven't had time to do much sewing this week. I hope to get back in my sewing room this weekend. Are you sewing or quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (30)

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I hope to finish piecing 2 Quilt of Valor tops. One I started 5 (?) years ago. I don't know why I didn't finish it. I think lack of time.
    It needs borders, and I haven't a clue what I was planning. So, when in doubt--buy more fabric! Did that last night.
    The 2nd one, I started this week. I also bought more border fabric for this one. I'll be thrilled if I get both finished.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Now that my sewing closet is finished, except for paint drying on 4 shelves, but should be dry by tonight, I plan to unpack and organize all my sewing room supplies and books.... and maybe hand-piece some granny square quilt blocks too. We are finally getting sunshine and dry weather for a few days - yay!

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, I can't believe January is half over already!

This is a 3-day weekend for me. I have a bunch of errands and chores planned for the holiday on Monday. I think I'll spend one weekend day on my cross stitch and one on my 4 patch stack & whack.

I have exciting news - I got a new job with Rosen Hotels! I gave my official resignation at the church on Wednesday, anticipating the end of Jan. as my end date. WOOHOO! I'm very excited and a little terrified - I've been at the church almost 18 years, so changing jobs is scary!

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Great news Donna! Being unhappy in your work place is very stressful. Hope you enjoy the change.
    As for sewing, i will be working on string blocks, now that i have the tension issues resolved, thanks to Marsha.
    Have a good weekend all!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the new job Donna! I worked at my church as office manager for 12 years, until I retired in 2011. It can be a very stressful job. I was lucky that when the stress level became unbearable, I was able to retire.
    Sandra, will we get to see pictures of your new closet when you have everything organized? I am still rearranging things in my new sewing room.
    Marsha, buying new fabric is the way to go! lol Good luck on finishing the quilts of valor. We want to see pics!
    Linda OH

• day2day
    9 years ago

Donna, congrats on the new job! Hope it works out well.
    Plan to get a quilt sandwich done this weekend. Have the backing/batting/top...now need to get it pinned.
    I pin on my big table but have to move the table away from the wall.
    That may take some doing as I have all kinds of things under the table. We are painting the living room so all the smaller things are now stored under the table.
    Hope you all have a sew productive weekend!

~Geraldine

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Donna, Congrats on your new job! I had the same job for 18 yrs as well, left that place and have found a new job every 2-3 years since...crazy, but fun!

Marsha, Always fun to have fresh fabric....which I ordered some kona earlier this week so I could finish a top over the long weekend...it arrived today...so yes I'm sewing at least one full day on my 3 day weekend!

Sandra, have fun organizing your new closet, once complete post a pic!

Happy sewing everyone!

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Yea, Donna! I've heard Rosen is a great company to work for!

I have a three day weekend too. Hoping to spend a day sewing.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Valarie, I'm hoping this will be a place I can stay till retirement! LOL Coincidentally, my new boss is named Valarie - spelled like yours!

Donna

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I am working on the Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt, ironing and cutting scraps into strips, and cleaning and straightening as I clear out scraps. In just a few hours time, I have hundreds of strips cut and ready for use! I should have purchased the Accuquilt a long time ago. :)

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Donna congrats on your new job! Donna until you had mentioned it, I had not realized there is no school Monday, so yay we have a 3-day weekend too. I just finished organizing my quilting supplies in my new sewing closet and posted some pics on the link below. I am glad to have my stuff organized and within reach and no longer in boxes,... now I need to clear off my sewing desk and get mini-blinds for the large windows behind my sewing/computer desk. I also have a 2nd smaller closet in my sewing room as well that we will renovate later that will give me more room to store books, greeting cards and other things that are still boxed up in the laundry room. Glad to be getting organized.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: My new sewing room closet

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I sewed a little bit today.....made a heart block just to test it out. Not sure if I'll make more or not. No sewing tomorrow.....DD said she'd pick me up and take me to see the new great-granddaughter. Yeaaaaa me!

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I did it! I have conquered the boxes and bags of scraps! Every piece that was big enough to cut into a strip has been cut and the strings have been put in one container. My husband told me he was going to hide his underwear in fear that I was going to cut them up! :)

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Sharon I hope you enjoy getting to spend time with your new great-granddaughter. Jackie that's funny, glad you were able to utilize all your scrap fabric. ... I still need to clean off my sewing desk....

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Here is the finished top I have been working on. It needs a good pressing before it joins the other UFO 's.
    Sewing the original blocks over paper gave me no problems but when I tried to join them, there were a host of issues. Marsha helped but I think the machine might need a good check up. And i still have a bazillion strips and scraps in the bin. Where do they come from!!!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Nice, Theresa! The light aqua is very soothing.

I hear you about the scraps...it seems like no matter how many you use, the stash never gets smaller. ðÂÂÂ

Donna

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Congrats, Donna. It's all up from here.

Love Sandra's new closet.

Theresa, your quilt is lovely. I like the blue as well. Very restful.

Jackie, you're a demon. Now you have me thinking about all my scraps and that I should do something with them to keep up with you. Bad Girl!!

Between chores and ball games I've managed to assemble a few blocks from the BH mystery. I want a completed top by mid Feb when I happen to be driving by the longarmer and can drop it off. It gives me a goal at least.

I have Mom's 95th birthday party soon and that is keeping me busy with all the messages and inquiries. Amazing what I've started. I'm up to 40 family members coming into town and over 100 of the locals. I'm making photo posters, ordering flowers, ordering food, making a guest book binder, and assigning tasks to kids. It's not a wonder I'm not sleeping well. But, it will be worth it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Here's what I did today. :-) Five days old.

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

She's beautiful, Sharon.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Just darling, Sharon! (I haven't seen my new granddaughter since she was 1 day old, and have no idea when I'll ever see her again :( )

I got a quilt loaded on the frame on Thursday, but haven't done much with it. I've piddled with a whole lot of other things around the house, but just not motivated to do much right now.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Donna, you are sure to have success with a Valarie with an "a", we are a rarity!

Ooohh Sharon...how precious to hold a such little one...she adorable!

Teresa...I like your string quilt top, the Aqua adds a nice touch!

Linda, you are a busy lady, but that party sounds like it will be wonderful...do post a pic of the whole gang at the party...we've heard bits and pieces about your Mom, gotta see pictures!

I'm just about to finish a quilt top, that will make one toooooo many quilt tops in my collection. The rest of this winter is devoted to sandwiching and quilting...I need some snow days!

V.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Wow, so many are improving their sewing spaces! Congrats to you Donna. Also to you, too Sharon, she's precious. Love the String top and glad to read so many are using or considering using their scraps. I love scrap quilts. I finished big-stitch quilting by hand the Shabby Chic top and I am adding some tying in the middle of the blocks. I've never done or even seen this combination done before but my fingers are trashed from the quilting. I am hoping to sign up for a class on the 30th to learn toothbrush rag rug making offered at the LQS. It's something different for a change and Lord knows I've got fabric. I've attempted a couple of rag rug making techniques but never this one. I will also try to set up the Long-Arm class I promised myself using the gift certificate I got for Christmas. The problem is picking the right day since I'm in and out every day morning and afternoon hauling Grandkids to and from school. I'll have to see what days the owner of the shop does it and work from there.

This post was edited by ritaweeda on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 6:01

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Oh Sharon, she is precious! Lucky you. I hope you get to see her often. And hold her, giver her hugs and kisses.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Theresa I like your quilt top. Thank you toolgranny. Sharon I find the most peaceful thing in the world is holding a baby, she's just precious. Got my desk cleaned off and plan to hand-piece some quilt blocks today.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 17:03

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Aww, Sharon, what a sweetie! She's so lucky to have a great-grandma. Enjoy!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. We should get to see her on week-ends maybe a couple of times a month also for holidays......maybe. :-)

I played with the novelty squares from Beverly today.....after taking down the GI mystery quilt from the design board. I need a few more blocks for one more border......sigh. Eventually.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Sharon, she's adorable! Lucky you.

Theresa. I love your top and I agree the light blue really sets it off. I guess I'll have to look up the process. I never did understand why the strips need to be sewn to paper.

After cleaning up my sewing space I've discovered I've got a ridiculously large number of bins of scrap. It would be good to put some of it to use.

LindaB/CA

• ibquiltn4fun
    9 years ago

I'm new to the forum and the whole quilting hobby. I worked on lotto blocks this weekend and figuring out a "scant" 1/4 in. seam. I made 4 blocks and did precise measuring and cutting but ended up with inconsistent final sizes. I got seams matched up pretty well without a lot of trouble but on a couple seams I was uncertain which direction to press. I'm going to send a couple along hoping for some constructive feedback. I'm in self-teaching mode and would benefit from some ideas going forward. Tnx for making the group available to me. Linda

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Sounds like everyone is having exciting times....new sewing room, finishing tops, new baby, party for mom...it all sounds lovely and I'm very happy for everyone. I won't mention that I don't have grand kids yet, let alone great-grand, Sharon. Boo Hoo. None of my four children are married. I was married at 21 and I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. LOL

I finished a baby quilt this weekend and just gave it its own post. It is such a wonderful feeling to actually finish something.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

bev2009
    I have the same boo hoo. Two children in their forties with no grandchildren likely. I love seeing all the grand babies though. I just have to live vicariously ;-) I've had fun making a couple of baby quilts.
    LindaB/CA

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living