Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BOM 2010 - February

Posted by solstice98 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 8:46

Welcome to the 2010 Block of the Month!

This is a no-pressure, no-structure, no-challenge, no-deadline group; we are just here to share, encourage and inspire. Any type, style and method of block construction is welcome. No rules; just fun quilting.

For those of you who haven't done a BOM, the idea is to commit to making one block each month and end the year with 12 completed blocks. It's a fun way to tackle long term projects or even mystery quilts. It can be organized - several websites offer patterns with a new block posted each month - or taken from a book - or even something you make up on your own.

You didn't have to start in January - feel free to jump in anytime!

Participants: Post a picture of your February 2010 block below. (There will be another thread started next month and so on throughout the year.)

If you want to see how all this started and pictures of blocks already posted, here are links to the original post and the previous months:
2010 bom/ba - original posting
BOM 2010 - January

Happy Quilting!
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BOM 2010 - February

I just finished my second block tonight. I'm going to count it as my February block even though we aren't quite there!

I picked this one for February because it's sort of a heart shape and seemed appropriate. Same reason for the amethyst colored flowers.

Kate

o

That's really pretty, Kate. An applique well done! @:)

SharonG/FL

o

That's so nice. I love the little spiral centers you fussy cut. My February BOM is just starting but it's nice to be ahead for a change.

o

Very pretty and a nice job. I finished mine this morning but will try and post tomorrow. Jayne

o

Very nice job Kate. Is it getting easier? Your fabric selections are my tastes :)
The LQS has a class making one block from the "Hop to it" book you are using. The applique is done using an Embroidery Machine!! Real cheaters~LOL~

I really enjoy looking at everyone's beautiful hand applique work. Maybe one day.............you are such a talented group.........I appreciate how much work and concentration you put into your work.

o

It is getting easier, partly because I'm no longer freaking out worried that I'm doing a terrible job. As the stress level decreased the level of pleasure went up. I just love doing this applique by hand; it's so relaxing. I'm learning to work with the batiks too. They are so densly woven that curves and circles don't come out as perfectly rounded as they would with a regular quilters cotton. But I love the fabric and colors so much its worth the struggle and the imperfection. My stitches are getting more even and the whole process feels smoother.

o

Kate,

LOVELY job, dear! I'm so glad you are enjoying the applique process. But you're making me look like a bit of a slacker here! I haven't even got my January block started, and here you have Feb's done already.

Thanks, my friend. I feel better! *winks*

Odessa

o

Will try again. [IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x223/nanajaynecarol/TwoturtleDoves.jpg[/IMG].
Learned a bit more. 1. I like the tooth pick. 2. Finally under stood the use of the overlay.
Jayne

o

Jayne - use the HTML Code line that starts with "img src", not the IMG code line that starts with "[IMG]". If you don't see that one, go to the very bottom of the Photobucket page and try "generate HTML code".

Kate

o

Did it but didn't see anythink that looked right.

o

My Photobucket link appears on the left side in a little box next to the picture. If I right click the link, the box will highlight and say copied - then I paste it on the space below this message box on GW , then fill in name this link. You will only see it on Preview message. I have a Mac, but I imagine it may be easier with a PC. It took me a long time to figure out how to post pictures.
I want help on changing fonts and colors.......calling Kate........

o
Two turtle doves

Photobucket

o

Jayne, your two turtle doves are very lovely. That's going to be a wonderful quilt when you are finished.

Odessa

o

RiverGirl - I sent you an email with color and font instructions. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Kate

o

Just got it Kate - thank you. Will see if I am a good student.

o
font change information

Here's a link to an old post about changing color, font, font size, style, etc. for those who are interested!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Font Change post

o

Kate,

You little computer nerd, you! You always make everything seem so easy.

However will we keep up with all of your innovations???

Love ya, girl!

Odessa

p.s. Hey! It really works!

o

Computer Nerd??? Oh no, I prefer "TECHNO-TWINKIE"!!!

Kate

o

They are both lovely!!!! I finished my January and I have started on February. It will prob be next week before I post pics.
I wanted to make this as a QAYG in 3 rows and a border. Do you think it would stand out too much to have the side borders pieced???
Rosa

o

I'm caught up!!!!! This is a sampler from E. Burns 'Egg Money Quilts'. It is the first time I have tried Dresden Plates and I think I'll make a whole DP quilt. The only prob I had was with the template. EB uses a rotary cutter and I found it easier to trace and cut with scissors. Cutting 4 pieces at a time went fairly fast.
This one is going to be a QAYG in 3 pieces.
Rosa
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Very pretty. I like the use of the red for the background and the border you will use. The gr. flowal reminds me of one that I once used in a quilt. Nice job. Jayne

o

Rosa-I like the picture above - Is the Dresden Plate hand pieced? And that's the border (machine pieced) that you want to put together? Just trying to figure out what you are asking - or better put - I am trying to "learn" what you are concerned with, because I think this looks terrific together.

I DVR EB on RFD Public TV (Whoa ....speaking code here:). I watch her late at night, I think she is doing her Egg Money quilt series now. She is such a hoot sometimes. I actually have learned alot just watching her.

Nanajayne - your Turtle Doves are really pretty. Is applique new to you?
Your Photobucket ablum is is not set to private (I suppose). Is it okay if I look at your quilting pictures? If not, tell me not to look. I want to respect your privacy :) I admire your work.

o

Marge,
The DP is machine pieced and the center is machine buttonhole stitch. I want to have it as much machined as I can LOL!!!
The quilt is all different size blocks.
I am dividing the quilt into 3 sections for the easier quilt as you go machine quilting.
BUT, I want to divide the border into 3 sections and quilt it with each section instead of the usual one piece border.
I'm going to 'go for it' LOL, we will see how it looks!!!
Rosa

o

What lovely DP block! And I like the border, too. This will be a striking quilt, I think. It's like an old-fashioned pattern, but brought up to date with your color choices/layout (like a red background ... that would have been almost unheard of 100 years ago!). I LOVE IT!

Odessa

o

Hand applique isn't exactly new but I am not very good at it and am trying to get better, that is the reason I am doing the 12 days.
No, Photobucket isn't private. Your welcome to browse. Jayne

o

OK, MagothyRiverGirl.... I'm afraid to ask... what is LQS code for? I'm not that far from Baltimore & fear to find another wonder Quilt Shop... but I'm asking anyway!

o

kay- LQS=Local Quilt Shop. You may be saved - or maybe not~LOL~ they are suppose to have their huge once a year Super Bowl weekend sale this weekend, but the 30" of snow will probably keep it from happening tomorrow. The sale will be extended (I think thru the week) and into next weekend.
They are a quint shop, expensive, located in the art district in West Annapolis.
Where are you in PA?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottonseed Glory Quilt Shop

o

Oh, I've been there! I'm northwest of Hagerstown. Have you been to Needle & Thread near Gettysburg or Wilson's in Hagerstown? Yes, I think we'll be snowed in here, too!

o

My friend in Hampstead is expecting to be snowed in and is planning a fun weekend of quilting! Last time I was up there we drove down to the DC area and made some purchases at G Street Fabrics and at Jinny Beyer's shop.

There used to be a great quilt shop in Baltimore called Bear's Paw - is it still there? I think it was off Loch Raven. That was my first LQS and I remember it fondly.

Kate

o

Here is the February Snowbound block by Bunny Hill Designs. This is going to be such a cute snowman quilt. The buttons are temporary until I do the quilting and decide what'll go on the block.

Snowbound February

Here is a link that might be useful: Bunny Hill Snowbound BOM

o

Adorable!

o

So cute - it is going to make an adorable quilt. Want some real snow???

o

Nice snowman. He will fit in just right. Jayne

o

Love the snowmen blocks and the buttons!! Is that a heart shaped strawberry button on the scarf????
Rosa

o

It's a heart shaped button. I'm auditioning those, will decide on all the embellishments after quilting! I still have the Bunny Hill basket block for February to sew. I love her patterns.

o

It is so cute!!! I think the buttons add much to the blocks.
Rosa

o

February BOM "Bountiful Baskets"
Photobucket

January BOM "Bountiful Baskets"
Photobucket

Buck A Block BOM #6 using Thangles. (two blocks per month for 6 months)
Photobucket

First time using the Thangle things. Didn't "get it" until I made the second block. I see their usefulness, but would not go out of my way and buy them. It was required for me to buy them for this BOM at my LQS.

The baskets are growing on me :).

Rebecca

o

Nice baskets - they are growing on me also - I'm not a basket person :) Your Mom will like them.
I started participating in a Thangles BOM last year at LQS. It came with precut strips of fabric - I also had to buy the Thangles. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the Thangles directions. I thought I was just too new to get it. They are still sitting in the bag - since last January 2009. If I recall, I only picked up 2 months. I like your blocks, but they are not too difficult blocks - you did a very nice job on them, but the question is - did the Thangles help you much? Just curious....

o

Here is my February block, for the Tisket a Tasket BOM, which was Bunny Hill's 2009 free BOM. Every month is so cute that I'm tempted to make them all, but I'm going to try and keep to one a month, along with the Snowbound blocks

These will only be online another week or so, then she's putting it for sale, so if anyone's interested you might want to download it now!

Bunny Hill February basket

Here is a link that might be useful: Tisket a Tasket

o

These are so cute. Thanks for the heads up- I am going to download them. Your blanket stitch so very even and nicely spaced. I have 3 different ones on my machine, one is actually called an antique quilt stitch I believe. The differences is tiny. I finally wrote down which one I liked for applique (the small amt I have done). You are causing (inspiring ) me to want to do more!!

o

Moving this back up to the top since we're only one weekend away from the end of the month. Hoping you are doing OK on your Bunnies, Baskets, Birds and Batiks! Also Thangles, QAYGs, DPs and adorable fuzzy Snowpersons!

Kate

o

I am doing okay on my BOM - the beauty of PPing I have discovered...is I can work on it for 5 mins at a time, put it down & two days later, pick up exactly where I left off without reading directions, counting blocks, and trying to figure out my place. I suspect applique is the same. I am trying to get some done today while I am waiting for a call. It is the only thing I have been able to work on this month.

o

I got 2 Paper Pieced Blocks done (one was mostly done in January).
I still have to add the HST which I will do once I get a few more block completed. I also still need to add the black sashing to make them 14".
I also finished a few of the Stepping Stone blocks, as I needed to buy fabric for them (actually changed my mind on what I was going to use, as I found the perfect print). The steps are from a striped fabric that had a gradual change in colors that I fussy cut (156 2.5" squares) to what you see- each of these 14" blocks random and different. I need to get these completed in order to go forward with the colors for the remaining PP stars that are more involved. I am introducing a mint & green batik to the turquoise/dark purple/blue to brighten it up a bit. I am close to finishing the 12 stepping stone blocks since my color choices were limited on those. It looks like I have alot done - but I have an awful lot left !!!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

For the paper -I switched to Plotter and Drafting Vellum instead of laser / copy paper. It is much better, rips away easier and is semi transparent. It goes thru my laser, which is picky.
Toolgranny suggested the old erasable typewriter paper - that would be perfect, but I would not recommend using it in a inkjet or laser printer/copier.
It is no longer made as far as I know - I finally donated the stock I had because there is no market for it. In fact typewriters are only made by a few manufacturers (so hang on to yours if you have a working typewriter - ribbons are even harder to find).
I've linked below to the Vellum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vellum

o

Those are so pretty. Love the colors. PP isn't much fun for me. I have started working on Sylvia's Bridal quilt patterns which many are PP. and I still have problems with the waste of fabric I seem to have. I use "puter" paper with out a problem. Jayne

o

Okay, I posted Feb in the March thread. I was hoping no one would notice and I'd be a month ahead. Bummer!

So, here's the same photo to cover Jan and Feb. Now I must get out the March pattern and begin again. It does seem to get easier with practice however. I hate pointy pieces!!

Jan & Feb BOM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here