Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Ever do any Heat Sealing?

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

I'm painting some white cotton fabric with acrylic paints, and the directions say to use an iron to heat seal the paint into the fabric when I'm done. Any tips on iron temperature and such from someone who's done this before?

I'm having a lot of fun creating my own fabric and don't want to lose it when it gets washed as part of a quilt. Thanks!

Dan

Comments (6)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Dan,
    The article I've saved on this subject says to use a dry iron on whatever heat setting is appropriate for the fabric. Just keep the iron moving to avoid burning anything. I linked the article below.

Did you add a textile medium to keep the fabric soft?

I want to try this too so I'm eager to hear how yours turns out!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: How to heat set acrylic paint on fabric

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Dan, I used a pressing cloth and pressed several times, letting the cloth cool in between each pressings.

Some postings say the fabric is washable, and I found posts that complained about the colors fading some even with hand washings.

Mine was a memory quilt that will not be washed or used very much.

I think I would test the fabric before I used it in a quilt!

I have saved a link (somewhere) to a knockout quilt by a pro quilter where she painted flowers on the quilt after it was quilted. My 10 yo computer is failing and I am in the aggrevating process of moving everything over so I have to look for it.

This one is cute, looking forward to seeing yours!
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: handPaintedFabric

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, that was one of the best articles I found online before posting this thread...lol! Today I'm going to do some more painting on the fabric (white 100% cotton from joann's). Yesterday I dried the fabric in my dryer, but once I'm done I'll be taking a dry iron to it all. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I covered my ironing board first with some muslin,an old sheet,just something to protect my cover,then i used a press cloth on top,to protect my iron as well.

You can also let it dry naturally,then throw it in the dryer to heat set the paint.I've done quite a bit of it over the years and never ruined anything,nor did anything fade out before it wore out.
    kathi

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said...but...be sure to show us when you've finished. ;)

Dee

• smokiescrafter
    12 years ago

As an old tole painter I have painted lots of fabric. I prefer to use actual fabric paint but have also used regular acrylics. First of all WASH the fabric to remove all sizing and DO NOT use fabric softner. Press, do NOT Starch... you want just the pure fabrics so the paint will adhere better. DO USE a Textile Medium to mix with your paint, this will help the paint thin and absorb into the fabrics much better. Use thinner coats to cover, not one big thick coat which will crack. I use cardboard covered with plastic wrap to keep the paint from going thru to the back side. When completed let it dry throughly, then press with a dry iron using a press cloth. I always press from both sides, also put something under when you press just in case some of the paint should decide to transfer off which is rare unless you have over saturated the piece. I have some sweatshirts that I painted over 20 years ago that still look good paintwise, of course some fading from so many washings but no cracking or peeling. Hope this helps.