Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

Whisker covers

vicky4x4
12 years ago

Back in the "old" days ladies would put whisker covers on quilts to protect them from their husbands beards. I am making a quilt for a friend who's husband has a very hard thick beard, the last quilt I made them was all picked up from it. I would like any info on "whisker covers" for quilts and how to maybe make one. I have Googled this and came up empty.

Thanks,

Vicky

Comments (14)

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Wow, you're right, I've tried every different way I could think of to search this and nothing comes up. Looks like this is something you would only find in some historical reference or museum. I've never heard of it. Maybe contact some historical societies with very aged members who would know something about this. The closest thing I can think of is the old "antimassacres" (not sure of that spelling) that they used to put on upholstered furniture to protect the arms and back from dirt, sweat and body oils - they were usually crocheted and lacy. I didn't think to search that.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Here is a reference to them, Vickie, about halfway down the left hand side of page 228.

Here is a link that might be useful: Massachusetts Quilts

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Antimacassar is the word, Rita. A popular hair oil in Victorian times was macassar oil, thus antimacassars.

Unfortunately, while I know about them, I've never heard of a whisker cover.

• meskauskas
    12 years ago

Here's a link to one with pics. Interesting - I'd never heard of them before. It makes sense though - you could just remove the beard protector and put a new one on when it got soiled. I remember when I was a kid, my dad used brillcreme on his hair, and my mom hated what it did to the pillowcases. Women put doilies on the backs of chairs and sofas for the same reason.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old quilt with beard protector

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

This link calls it a chin guard....I also saw it refered to as a chin cover.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Chin Guard

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

learn something new every day!

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Really interesting our Grandmas knew what they were doing back in the days when it was very common for thick beards.
    Thanks for sharing this historical info

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

I read about Whisker Covers and saw pictures in the book "The Quilt That Walked to Golden". I am going to also make one for the new quilt I made for our bed. DH has a full beard and the quilt we now have on the bed is all discolored on his side (both ends because I rotate the quilt) from the oils in his beard. From what I remember it is made like a hanging sleeve but hand stitched over the end of the quilt to protect the front and back about 4 inches down. I will make mine out of plain muslin then replace when necessary.

• vicky4x4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the info...

Vicky

• User
    12 years ago

Like Jennifer, I learn something new everyday!

I use a top sheet on my bed that folds over the top of the quilt. Easier to wash the sheet than the whole quilt.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

How interesting. As Jennifer said "learn something new every day".

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

Wow! Who knew? This information is excellent; also have a hubby who uh...isn't the most careful, shall we say? My sister made me a beautiful quilt and I was so hesitant to use it for fear Mr Nails (he's actually chipped the wood on the headboard from thrashing hands!!) will tear it apart. I think the 'whiskers cover' in an extra large piece sewn (gently!) to the inside and flipped outward at night, would be just the ticket! Plus, the historical significance is pretty cool!!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Interesting!!! My sis has complained of a lady friend staying with her and getting makeup on the covers and pillows. She said the waterproof black mascara was very hard to get out of the pillow cases.

I have heard of them, it may have been on one of E. Burns series, she likes to have history in some of her shows.

I never thought of it, but I use my sheets like Diane does. I fold my sheet over the quilts a good 6 inches.