Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2quilting

January 2012 BOM blocks

new2quilting
12 years ago

Is anyone doing any block of the months this year? Have you done January already?

Here is my first one, the January block for "Hello Sun" a free BOM by April Mae Designs. It is a 6" block. Because the background is so colorful I had to put something behind the light fabrics to prevent it from showing through (shadowing). I used some Warm and White batting, which added a little dimension as well.

Would love to see any other BOMs people are working on. I joined the Craftsy BOM and booked marked In Color Order's HST BOM (http://incolororder.blogspot.com/p/block-of-month.html), but this is a start. --Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: April Mae Designs Hello Sun.

Comments (8)

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Yes, Amy,
    I too have joined the Craftsy BOM, since it's free!
    Finished both January blocks - the asterisk and wonky pound sign, and looking forward to the Feb. lesson.

Thanks for the link to the In Color Order link.
    I found it interesting that the January block shows the diagonal seams pressed open, the seams between squares pressed to the side in alternating directions, and seams between rows pressed open.

Julie

• msmeow
    12 years ago

No BOMs for me this year.

He's cute Amy!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I started a BOM in 2010 and did blocks through May. Then... well, I'm not sure what happened but I stopped and never picked it up again although the basket has been sitting beside my bed for 2 years! I really do mean to start on it again this year. Really. I'm serious. Don't laugh. Keep posting your blocks and maybe that will inspire me.

Kate

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

I've signed up for the Craftsy BOM, but I haven't started the January blocks yet! It took me a while to decide what fabrics to use - finally decided on black, white and red theme. Then my grandsons came to stay and haven't had the time to start. But January isn't over yet!
    Kristene

• new2quilting
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kate, one of my other projects is finishing the Bunny Hill basket BOM from 2009! I started it in 2010 and had 3 done before life intervened, then did 3-4 more last year, and I just finished 2 more. Now I have 3 left and I just want it done. I'm like the Little Engine That Could, I think I can, I think I can! I did get the Snowpeople top assembled from the BH 2010 BOM, but that and another finished BOM need quilting. This is my year to finish what I have and shop in my stash.

So if anyone does any blocks from any years, post along LOL!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I am in that same 2010 BOM group that put the project away. I said I was going to get it out in January and instead I'm looking at other projects! We need to push each other - someone else has to go first! :)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow. I should bring my old, unfinished block along and work on it while DH Jim is driving.

• new2quilting
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I was pushed! Here's the September catch-up block for BH Tisket Tasket! I think the reason I stopped making them is the bias basket handles are so hard to control and end up wonky. I wish I had done rick rack like a few others did.

Now I have 2 more to go! I keep saying I don't want to start too much new until I finish these up, but also don't want to get behind on new January blocks LOL!