Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

It doesn't get much better than this...

loisflan
12 years ago

First of all, I want to offer my sympathy to any member of the forum who was affected by the tornadoes that ripped through some of the southern states.

Then I want to say I'm sorry to anyone struggling through ice and snow storms.

That being said, I'm lucky enough to be sitting on the Valley Isle of Maui where it has been 80 and sunny every day for the past week. And best of all, I found the Maui Quilt Shop today in Kihei. I was disappointed to learn that there are no fabrics made in Hawaii, but I did find several patterns that are uniquely Hawaiian, and I bought two to take home to Minnesota. Here are photos of the quilts for which I bought the patterns. I even bought the kit for the pineapple quilt although I'm sure I could have gotten the fabric cheaper on the mainland. Everything here is so expensive, but I wanted to bring something home and their batiks were incredible.

I love the little honu (sea turtle) appliques. The turtles' feet are loose and not sewn down. The pineapple quilt will be a lengthy project for me. The whole outer border is scrappy, and because the colors are graduated, I think I will have to cut and sew each piece rather than using one of the faster methods.

Thanks for letting me share my happy day with you. Lois

Comments (25)

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Love both of those! The turtles are too cute and I like the idea that the little feet are not sewn down...how clever. The pineapple quilt is fantastic and I would love to have that pattern to add to my lengthy to do list. I do the same thing when traveling, I buy patterns and not so much fabric because of the weight thing at the airlines.
    As for as your location......hope you are having a simply marvelous time! Don't give a second thought to those of us stuck in the cold,snowy, icy, wet, windy mainland! LOL
    thanks for sharing with us.
    Murphy

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Aaaah, I can almost feel the warm Maui breeze!

You made great choices. That pineapple quilt is gorgeous! We're celebrating with you!

Kate

• day2day
    12 years ago

Nice quilts. Clever idea to have the turtle feet loose.
    I SOOOO wish I was there in Hawaii instead of here in
    wintry Canada.
    Sounds like you are enjoying the Maui sunshine.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous fabrics ~ you deserve a nice time in Paradise since you know what hard winters in Minnesota are like!

You made great choices in patterns-very cute turtle.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Enjoy your time in the sun! My sister lives close to Mnpls and her daughter has decided she wants an Igloo Boy (think pool boy) to have the driveway shoveled and her car all warmed and free of snow when it's time for her to go to work. @:)

I really really like the pineapple!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Lucky you! Enjoy the sunshine and warm temps! We have another gray, cloudy, foggy day here in NC.

Love, love, love those quilts! What a great way to remember your trip.

Teresa

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Wonderful place to be at this time of year. Enjoy it. But, that quilt shop isn't nearly as good as the one on Kauai. If you wander, be sure you get to the one in Lihue on Kauai. It's just super. Tons of batiks.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Have fun, Lois! It is also 80 and sunny here in Florida. Plus we have a LQS with that pineapple pattern and kits available, in case I get the urge! :)

Donna

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Lois, glad you got away from the cold. I was in Hawaii in 1973 for our honeymoon. You can't beat that weather! The quilts are beautiful. I especially love the turtles with their little feet.

I tried to find the quilt shop you reference and I assume it is the Kapaia Stitchery, toolgranny. They don't appear to have a website. But I did find the link below with beautiful Hawaiian prints pictures. The colors are so vibrant. A wallhanging made in those fabrics would have to cheer you on these cold January days.

Here is a link that might be useful: hawaiian prints

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Donna! Which LQS has the pineapple pattern?!? I think I need to make a small version for my front door.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

K8, looks like it is a scrappy braid, then the oval template laid on it, marked and cut, ironed down with WonderUnder, then machine appliqued? I think you could freehand draw the leaves, cut them out, WonderUnder, then machine applique them down. I have a link to the braid on the Quilterscache.com site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Braid Block on Quilterscache.com

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: pineapple quilt

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Love that quilt. Yes, the Kapaia Stitchery, just down the hill from the hospital. Wonderful shop. We'd walked a long way to get there and one of the shoppers who'd seen us on the road offered to drive us back. Must go back someday.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, I've seen it at the Sewing Studio. Not sure if they still have it.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks!

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

I love the pineapple quilt!
    One way of avoiding the extra charge for baggage (overweight or extra bag) when travelling is to mail your purchases home to a neighbor or yourself if you are not going to be gone long. A friend of mine did that a few years ago when they went to Hawaii then onto Australia and New Zealand. They were gone for 6 weeks. They figured the postage was less than the extra charges.
    Enjoy the rest of your time away!
    Mary in cold Ontario!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Last night my DDs and I were watching a rerun of Psych on Netflix. In the scene, Shawn covers up his sleeping dad with a quilt and ... you guessed it, it was the pineapple quilt. (Pineapples are a theme in every episode.) I roared (yes I am a roarer). I only caught a glimpse, but the pattern of the pineapples looked slightly different. My one DD loved the pattern too and of course, now wants me to make one.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I'm thinking one pineapple would make a nice wall hanging in my newly painted yellow kitchen. The pineapple is the symbol for hospitality here in the South....and maybe elsewhere as well. Legend is that the plantation owners would sit pineapples on the pillars at the gates to the plantation as a sign of welcome to visitors. I don't have a plantation...or gates for that matter, but I love this pattern!

Teresa

• watsonair
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous! I want it!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Teresa, that's why I want to use it for a wallhanging outside my front door. I have a covered area there that's perfect for small wallhangings and the pineapple would be a nice "Welcome!". I was going to paint one on fabric, then quilt it, but I really like this pattern.

Kate

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In case anyone is still looking for the patterns, here is the info.

Sunshine Pineapple - email Vicki at vickistratton@comcast.net.

Baby Honu - www.lisaboyer.com

I went back to the shop today and bought a baby turtle print for the backing of the turtle quilt. I can find all the fabrics for the front locally, but I didn't want to chance not finding the turtles. I was so tempted by a pack of half-yards of bright Hawaiian prints, but I resisted. Of course, I'll be here for another 11 days, so you never know what might happen.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

How wonderful to be in Hawaii!! And to be able to visit the quilt shops, too. I love these 2 quilts and you have more will power than I do. I don't know that I could resist not buying the fabrics. They are beautiful!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Takes for your ceoncern about us on your lovely vacation!!! The storms were all around us, but our little town is OK!!!

And now, stop it lol!!!! I am still waiting for the book to arrive that I do not need!!

I love both patterns, but the pineapple is gorgeous. What a wonderful souvenir to bring home to always remind you of your trip.

Have a great time!!!!
    Rosa

• fran1523
    12 years ago

How did I ever miss that shop when I was in Maui a couple years back? Very cute pattern.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Bev2009, Thanks for posting that site. I've ordered the Welcome Pineapple wallhanging pattern and a Sashiko Leaf kit......simply because I wanted them. @:)

SharonG/FL (just call me Rosa) lol

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource