Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

January 2014 To-Do List

Whew!!! We made it through 2013! No resolutions as I don't keep them anyway, but I will make a list for January of things to do. And, I hope you'll join me.

1. Work on Falling Charms
2. Work on novelty Wickedly Easy
3. Work on flowery Wickedly Easy

I have 6 quilts I want to complete and give so I'm going to go looking for batting and the tape that's used to piece batting, too. Needless to say, I will be busy.

SharonG/FL

Comments (27)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I am going to finish 1 UFO every month.

beverly

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I hope to be able to finish some UFO's first. DGS's quilt is coming along nicely. And the would-like-to-do list keeps getting longer, especially Falling
    Charms. I am not a fan of resolutions because when they are not carried out, I am so disappointed in myself. So we will just keep the ideas as possibilities and be happy when they do get carried out.
    Good luck with all our plans.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

The only resolution I have ever kept was the one to not make resolutions! :)

For January, keep working on Celtic Solstice until and unless I get a comfort quilt top that is being made by a group. Whenever I get it I will quilt it right away and get it on its way to the recipient.

Donna

• day2day
    10 years ago

I want to start a Chimneys and Cornerstones quilt. I have watched Eleanor Burns video and am excited to start the quilt but I can't decide on colors. I thought I would use some of my Xmas gift money to buy some fat quarters. They go on sale at the LQS
    on Jan. 6.
    I also want to work on some small projects that I intend to sell.

Hope everyone has a productive year.

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleanor's Chimneys and Video

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I hope to:

1. finish the bargello quilt
    2. quilt the 5 or 6 quilts hanging in limbo
    3. work diligently on Dear Jane
    4. maybe do a custom quilt for my brother

what else? we'll see.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

In January I will finish DD's depression block quilt. I will be very happy if that is all I accomplish...oh and the Lotto blocks.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

This is another year of not making any quilting goals for me. I plan to just work on whatever takes my attention and not set any deadlines. I did this in 2013 and got more accomplished than any of the other years that I had made goals. This really works guys, I have 3 quilts in progress right now and absolutely no UFOs!

Jackie

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Well, here goes.

1) Make a Peekaboo Monkeys quilt for our newest grandson due in April.
    2) Finish the two Chinese Coin quilts for my great-nieces.
    3) Make my husband a Blockbuster quilt. He has never asked for one, but he uses my quilt when he naps. He also asked if we really had to give away one I made for our son, so I think he'd really like it if I made him one. He's quite sentimental.
    4) Bind my daughter's Blowing in the Wind quilt when it returns from the LAQ.
    5) I have patterns and fabric for 3 quilts that I just really liked. I have no recipient in mind. I just plan to keep them for myself. One is a baby sea turtle quilt; one's a One Block Wonder; one's an Asian quilt. These are the ones that keep getting put off.

I keep thinking of small projects I'd like to do for people I know. I'm retiring next November, so maybe I can get some more done then. I sure hope so.

Happy New Year!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lois, Trust me, you won't get more done after retirement! I completed more quilts while working than I have since I retired. Really! It doesn't stand to reason, but that's how it was for me. You have quite a list and I have no doubt, you'll get it accomplished.
    Jackie, We do whatever works for us to get our quilts made. I, personally, need monthly 'suggestions' to work on in order to keep anywhere near on track. :-)
    Bev2009, Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt for your daughter.
    Wow, Jen! You must plan on being snowed in all month (with electricity). But, I would expect nothing less from you. lol
    Geraldine, Deciding on fabric and colors is one of my most trying things to do. Sometimes, it just jumps out and speaks, and other times it's worrisome. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :-)
    Donna, You're doing well in keeping up with Celtic Solstice. With all you have going on, it's amazing!
    Theresa, Completing UFO's is on my list again this year. I didn't complete as many as I thought I would in 2013, but that's ok.....no police around here to make me feel guilty! Three of the quilts on my January list are UFO's, so that's a good thing!
    Yeaaaaa, Beverly! One UFO a month.....do you have enough for the whole year???

I think one of the things I'm going to try this year is to work on UFO's during the week (like it's my job) and on week-ends (and the holidays the banks are closed) I can work on whatever I want to. :-)

Here we go........good luck to us all.

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It is true lol!!! I am an organized person, until I retired that is lol! But I can honestly say I have never regretted my decision to retire.

This year I am cutting back on the volunteering, sounds selfish, but they keep trying to turn it into a full time job with overtime lol! I will increase my visits to the nursing homes. I enjoy the visits and I can make prayer shawls while we talk.

I am determined to make this the year that I practice my FMQing! I will spend more time on hand embroidery than piecing.

And I have a stack of jeans that I am making the last of the raggedy denims!!!

• sherryquilts
    10 years ago

I too don't do well with resolutions! I have tote boxes full of finished tops that need to be quilted. Vowed last year I would get some quilted, well, I did but not enough! i laugh when I read about quilters neglecting housework for quilting, I'm the opposite. I'm a clean nut, love to clean my house & it takes away from my sewing time. Maybe I need to vow to clean less, sew more! :)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Clean less...sew more...now there's a motto to live by! the dust bunnies will always be there...no matter how many times we chase them away.

I don't do NY resolutions, but I did make a list of the projects that have been dancing around in my head and well it's way toooo long, so like Jackie, whichever one suits my fancy when I have free time is the one I'm doing.

Geraldine...that is a great pattern... you can't go wrong with any color selection.

I saw the reveal of the Celtic Solstice and Love It...I've printed all of the directions and added to my way toooo long project list.

Of course there's another year of the lotto...I'm looking forward to another year of seeing everyone's creations up close and personal...ya'll inspire me to do better every month.

here we come 2014!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosa, I don't think it's selfish to cut back on your volunteering. You do a lot of it and it sounds like you're just picking and choosing what you can continue to do and still do something for yourself. I think it's a win-win solution.

Sherry, If you're a clean-nut (and enjoy all the cleaning), then that's what you are. Just set a designated day/time for sewing and stick to it. I can just hear DD telling me the same thing about going to the mall to walk for 1/2 hour...'just set a time, like an appointment, and do it.' LOL yeah, right!

V...Those aren't dust bunnies, them's angel hairs...and who would want to do away with angels? LOL

Take some time for yourselves this year.... I've learned not to stress about something that won't make a difference next week if I do or if I don't. :-)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

For January,
    - I want to get everything organized for the Lotto and make as many of the blocks as I can.
    - I would like to complete a wall hanging for the family room but I'll be happy if I just make a good start on it. Jim will be gone most of the month so I'll have time in the evenings after work to sew; it's a good time to start a project.
    - Now that all the Christmas decorations are down, I need to do some decorating at the front door. Not sure what it will be yet, but you can bet fabric will be involved!

• calliope
    10 years ago

I cleaned up all my UFOs last year.......and after getting the impromptu quilt done for an orphan's gift, gave it a rest until this year. I did get the sewing room painted!

I made no quilting resolutions, either. I've given away all the quilts from my finished stack that I wanted to give, and I have three quilts I'd like to make for three cousins, siblings, whom I shared my early childhood with, and whom I still keep a close and loving relationship, even though I only see them once every year or two. The mystery quilt I'm working on now might work for one of them. The other two I'll do when I get inspired.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I am going to work on SBS blocks - mostly cutting fabric - and some doll quilts for the month of January. I hope everyone has a wonderful year of quilting.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 17:03

• day2day
    10 years ago

It's the middle of the month. How is everyone doing? Are you making progress?
    I am using scraps for the Chimneys and Cornerstones quilt so it is taking a while to get the pieces cut. I have to force myself to work on it. I'm trying to find my sewing mojo but it's hiding!!!
    I have no small projects done...well, almost none. I did make a few fabric gift boxes. They still need some buttons or other embellishments.
    Are you happy with your progress so far this month?

~Geraldine

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

I never make resolutions, either. But I would like to come to some decision on my next project before the end of this month. I've been eying a blazing star quilt in a magazine but I almost always have to make changes to anything I see in print. When I finally decide on something I make one on the e-quilt program and tweak it before I start cutting fabric. And, there are NO UFO's in MY house. (Phtooey! Phtooey!!)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Still plugging away on Celtic Solstice. I have half the birthday girl blocks assembled. My plan is to keep at it until the top is done, then I think I'll put it away for a while before quilting it.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been crazy here......I had surgery in my mouth Tuesday and am still a little woozy. Sooo, not much sewing is getting done. I bought some batting so as soon as I feel up to it, I can get some sandwiching done.

DH had a doc appt. for his kneecap today and lo and behold, somehow a stainless steel hook/wire got broken and is working it's way out of the bone. Don't know what that means, but we'll find out this coming Tuesday.

I'm just kind of bummed out right now.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I ended up putting my 3rd item at the top of the list and finished the outside wallhanging.

Lotto stuff organized with littlehelen and posted; still working on getting samples of all blocks done. Hope to get some more done on that this weekend.

Working on the big family room wallhanging, but set it aside for the other projects. I'm at the stage of cutting the silk fabrics for the fused images and am having a hard time making those cuts. What if I mess it up?!? I should only buy fabric I don't like and them I wouldn't mind cutting it.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Sharon, so sorry to hear about all the upheaval.
    Hope things soon become more positive.
    Prayers for both of you.

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Haven't gotten any quilting done the last 2 weeks due to the flu. But now am much better and may start working on a quilt project this afternoon/weekend. Sharon I hope you get to feeling better.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate, I wonder about the fabrics that we love too much to cut. What will we do with them? I think one day we'll just grab the rotary cutter and do it! If it's cut wrong, then do whatever it takes to make it right. lol But, it won't be wrong cause you're so good.
    Geraldine, It's been suggested I make a few more Crazy Quilt squares to commemorate my life right now.... Which might be a good idea. Thank you for the prayers.
    Sandra, So glad to hear you're feeling better. Take your time in getting back to doing your normal routine. The 'flu' this year is really wicked.

Hoping to get the January lotto blocks mailed this week. At least I'll be doing something with fabric. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Sharon. Today am sewing the binding on the doll quilts I am making, so making progress. :-) It feels good to be quilting again.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I have done the Lotto blocks for Jan. to May. And because I rooted through my boxes, they were in a sad state. So yesterday and today, I neatened four bins. It is surprising what I found in a couple of them "I don 't remember that fabric".
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Yay! I finished something this month, ... Christy's daughter's doll quilts & pillows are done and I uploaded a pic of them to the Quilting Forum.

Best to you,
    Sandra