Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whig Rose (Hand Applique)

Posted by maryliz (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 07 at 11:48

Here's my latest project. It is a whig rose designed by Jo Morton.

It appears in Quiltmania magazine, which I was able to purchase at Joann's. The pattern is also available in a booklet, which I saw at the quilt shop when I was picking out fabrics for the project.

Here is a closeup of the hand applique.

I can do needle turn, but I think the "glue turn" method seems faster, and I get more accuracy & precision. I press freezer paper to the right side of the fabric, trim away the extra fabric leaving 3/16 inch of fabric on all sides of the freezer paper, clip inner curves, then use water soluble glue stick to turn under the raw edges. When I'm ready to sew a piece on, I peel off the freezer paper, pin or thread baste, then blind stitch all the way around the shape.

I have to say, I am seriously addicted to applique!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whig Rose (Hand Applique)

Beautiful! I like hand applique. It is so relaxing and I feel like I have more control over how the project will look. I haven't done much of it lately because the Christmas gifts need a machine for quick piecing and quilting.TFS.
~Geraldine

o

It is beautiful!! I used to do a lot of applique, but I haven't recently.
You have inspired me to start again.
Rosa

o

Maryliz,
It is really nice. Don't do much hand applique but this is inspiring.
TFS

Sally

o

I am trying to learn hand applique and have not been pleased with any of my methods so far. I have a real problem with those inside corners!!!

I am going to try your method and someone is going to do a class in January so I am still hopeful.

Your project is really beautiful and I love the Wig Rose.
Jean

o

thats a pretty design, your doing a good job with it,
im just getting into qpplique,n also getting addicted to it, everything i see becomes a posable applique pattern, [ i got my cat pattern out of a coloring book! hee hee]

o

That's what I like about applique -- any simple line drawing can become part of your next applique quilt. Coloring pages can become wonderful inspiration. And if your drawing skills are lacking, then you can claim that your applique style is "primitive." That is a style that is recognizable by its intentionally crude shapes and quaint motifs, which I am really starting to like, for its informal feel.

o

Jean, Me, too! Those inside corners are bears! The next time I think I'll clip clip clip glue and see if it helps any. Gotta get me a glue stick....

Thanks Maryliz......

o

Grab your glue sticks, girls! Here's the original thread that got me started on using the "glue turn" method for hand applique.

o

Thanks Maryliz, I going to buy glue stick tomorrow!
Jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here