Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick Gift

Posted by csackett (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 28, 06 at 6:53

Every few years my quilt group gets together and spends one day making pillowcases. All sorts of patterns and fabrics. When someone in the group is hospitalized, they are given a pillowcase from the group to brighten up their room. I've started doing the same thing for friends of mine. This pillowcase is going to a friend that had knee replacement surgery and is in the hospital. I make seasonal pillowcases for my family (halloween, Christmas, valentines, etc.) They are so easy and make quick gifts.
Carolyn

Image link: Quick Gift (31 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick Gift

Carolyn, What a great idea! I've made Christmas pillow cases for the kids and DGK's, but never thought about doing it for those who were hospitalized! I want to make some up and keep on hand this year....same way with hair towels.

I don't do the extra trim on the pillow cases cause I can't figure out how to make it without a raw seam on the inside. Any suggestions? TIA

SharonG/FL

o

That's very nice. My guild makes them for the local hospital.

o

Sharon,
I'll try to explain (it's really easy). I cut a 1 1/2" strip wof coordinating fabric,3/4 yd for the pillow case and 1/3" for the cuff. I fold and press the trim piece, wrong sides together. I slip it between the cuff and the pillow case part. I stitch it together and press the seam toward the cuff, but the trim stays on the casing part. After I've sewn the bottom and sides and then serged or zig-zagged the edges I turn the pillow case right sides out and fold under about 1/4" of the other end (unsewn end) of the cuff and pin it a little bit over the seam line of the trim, cuff, etc. On the right side of the pillow case I sew in the ditch of the seam line. It catches the other end of the cuff and makes a neat "no raw" edge. If this doesn't explain it better I can take pictures.Carolyn

o

That's a great idea!

o

Carolyn, Thank you......I have it....one question though, the trim is not actually sewn to the case except at the seam line?????

SharonG/FL

o

Carolyn, Ok, you just might have unleashed the pillowcase maniac in me! I made one last night...pink with brown accent, and loved it! I think I'm going to get a plastic shoe box size container and as I come across fabric I can use, get everything cut and keep together for pillowcases. That way, when I have just a few minutes to sew, or I'm at a stage when I can't think, but want to sew, they'll be there and I can sew away.

Thanks again.........
SharonG/FL

o

That's great -- and a great idea!

o

I love this idea, as I have been wanting to make some nice pillowcases to go with the quilt on my bed. It's awfully nice to give them to ill friends, too. A pretty pillowcase would cheer anybody up.

o

Sharon,
It's sewn in the seam between the cuff and the case part, and then in the seam down the side. I think some patterns show it as a small piece of fabric strip between the two. I fold it in half and put it in the seam between the two fabric choices.

Carolyn

o

Could you please explain or take a picture of how the casing, cuff, and sides go together? Of course the picture would be great. I'm a visial person. Thanks Marge

o

It sounds like it's piping between the cuff & main body.

o

Marge,
It is like piping, but I use no cording -just the folded fabric.I cut the strip and iron it folded in half. Then I place it between the end of the case and the cuff (right sides together). I sew all three pieces and then I sew the side seam and the bottom of the pillow case. I then turn under about 1/4 of the other edge of the cuff. I fold over the cuff and sew the edge just below the seam of the pillowcase and cuff.
Carolyn

o

Got it! Thanks, they are fun to make. I have made 2 this afternoon and can see that I will make many more. Thanks again, Marge

o

Are the inside seams like french seams? I visited a guild & they were handing out directions for that kind of pillowcase, but if I picked up the directions, I've misplaced them.

o

Marti8a,
You can do a search and find them. If you'll email your address I'll send you a copy of a couple that I have. You could use french seams, but I just use a 1/4" seam and zig-zag the edges. Several of the ladies make them using their serger.
Carolyn

o

Cool!

o

I have done this pattern also, and what I have used on the coordinating cuff fabric is to use 2inch by 2inch squares... sew 4 rows by 28 rows and it makes what you need for the cuff (lower) part. I use my left-over scraps for this part, and add backing to this to get the needed fabric to make the 1/3 yard.
It is a great way to use your left over small pieces fabric,(I have a hard time tossing any fabric away!) I use a neuteral or solid fabric for the other fabric needed... I have this on hand for a quick gift I need to give someone.
I like the idea of giving them for charity... nice idea.
BARBARA

o

I found this neat video on how to make a pillowcase without a raw edge on the opening. The pilowcase tutorial starts about halfway through the video.

Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillowcase video

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here