Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
csackett_gw

Quick Gift

csackett
17 years ago

Every few years my quilt group gets together and spends one day making pillowcases. All sorts of patterns and fabrics. When someone in the group is hospitalized, they are given a pillowcase from the group to brighten up their room. I've started doing the same thing for friends of mine. This pillowcase is going to a friend that had knee replacement surgery and is in the hospital. I make seasonal pillowcases for my family (halloween, Christmas, valentines, etc.) They are so easy and make quick gifts.

Carolyn

Image link:

Comments (18)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Carolyn, What a great idea! I've made Christmas pillow cases for the kids and DGK's, but never thought about doing it for those who were hospitalized! I want to make some up and keep on hand this year....same way with hair towels.

I don't do the extra trim on the pillow cases cause I can't figure out how to make it without a raw seam on the inside. Any suggestions? TIA

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    17 years ago

That's very nice. My guild makes them for the local hospital.

• csackett
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    I'll try to explain (it's really easy). I cut a 1 1/2" strip wof coordinating fabric,3/4 yd for the pillow case and 1/3" for the cuff. I fold and press the trim piece, wrong sides together. I slip it between the cuff and the pillow case part. I stitch it together and press the seam toward the cuff, but the trim stays on the casing part. After I've sewn the bottom and sides and then serged or zig-zagged the edges I turn the pillow case right sides out and fold under about 1/4" of the other end (unsewn end) of the cuff and pin it a little bit over the seam line of the trim, cuff, etc. On the right side of the pillow case I sew in the ditch of the seam line. It catches the other end of the cuff and makes a neat "no raw" edge. If this doesn't explain it better I can take pictures.Carolyn

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

That's a great idea!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Carolyn, Thank you......I have it....one question though, the trim is not actually sewn to the case except at the seam line?????

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    17 years ago

Carolyn, Ok, you just might have unleashed the pillowcase maniac in me! I made one last night...pink with brown accent, and loved it! I think I'm going to get a plastic shoe box size container and as I come across fabric I can use, get everything cut and keep together for pillowcases. That way, when I have just a few minutes to sew, or I'm at a stage when I can't think, but want to sew, they'll be there and I can sew away.

Thanks again.........
    SharonG/FL

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

That's great -- and a great idea!

• biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

I love this idea, as I have been wanting to make some nice pillowcases to go with the quilt on my bed. It's awfully nice to give them to ill friends, too. A pretty pillowcase would cheer anybody up.

• csackett
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    It's sewn in the seam between the cuff and the case part, and then in the seam down the side. I think some patterns show it as a small piece of fabric strip between the two. I fold it in half and put it in the seam between the two fabric choices.

Carolyn

• lmarge
    16 years ago

Could you please explain or take a picture of how the casing, cuff, and sides go together? Of course the picture would be great. I'm a visial person. Thanks Marge

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

It sounds like it's piping between the cuff & main body.

• csackett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marge,
    It is like piping, but I use no cording -just the folded fabric.I cut the strip and iron it folded in half. Then I place it between the end of the case and the cuff (right sides together). I sew all three pieces and then I sew the side seam and the bottom of the pillow case. I then turn under about 1/4 of the other edge of the cuff. I fold over the cuff and sew the edge just below the seam of the pillowcase and cuff.
    Carolyn

• lmarge
    16 years ago

Got it! Thanks, they are fun to make. I have made 2 this afternoon and can see that I will make many more. Thanks again, Marge

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Are the inside seams like french seams? I visited a guild & they were handing out directions for that kind of pillowcase, but if I picked up the directions, I've misplaced them.

• csackett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marti8a,
    You can do a search and find them. If you'll email your address I'll send you a copy of a couple that I have. You could use french seams, but I just use a 1/4" seam and zig-zag the edges. Several of the ladies make them using their serger.
    Carolyn

• key4unc
    16 years ago

Cool!

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

I have done this pattern also, and what I have used on the coordinating cuff fabric is to use 2inch by 2inch squares... sew 4 rows by 28 rows and it makes what you need for the cuff (lower) part. I use my left-over scraps for this part, and add backing to this to get the needed fabric to make the 1/3 yard.
    It is a great way to use your left over small pieces fabric,(I have a hard time tossing any fabric away!) I use a neuteral or solid fabric for the other fabric needed... I have this on hand for a quick gift I need to give someone.
    I like the idea of giving them for charity... nice idea.
    BARBARA

• User
    16 years ago

I found this neat video on how to make a pillowcase without a raw edge on the opening. The pilowcase tutorial starts about halfway through the video.

Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillowcase video