Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Scrappy Maverick AKA What Not To Do!

In one of her posts, Teresa mentioned a maverick block and this quilt is filled with them. I had most of the 6" blocks already made up from fabric from when I belonged to Mr B's, and also from my scrap bin so I just incorporated them into 12 1/2" (unfinished) blocks. I started this before Teresa started the class so there are things here that probably shouldn't be done. My saving grace is that I kept all the blocks with a 3" grid so sewing them together was easier than if I used various grids. I'd like to put on borders, but am at a loss of what to do.......any thoughts?

The corner fabric is the same fabric as the wine color in the center flying geese (gooses?).

SharonG/FL

Comments (11)

• chrizty
    16 years ago

wow love that! it looks great as is! good job sharon!
    if ya wanna add a border how bout a wide all white border n if ya still have some of your fabrics puttin little blocks linin the outter edges of the white.? or if ya have some of the wine color do the outter edges in wine.? or you could just do the hole border in wine,
    i love how ya did the corners in the wine, reminds me of like a scrap book pitchure holder page,

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, chrizty! I can see what you're saying and I think that's a good idea about using the wine fabric. I don't have a lot of it left so maybe I'll try a narrow border and then do something else for the next border. Stay tuned....

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I think it is great and scrappy. I like the idea of a white boarder and maybe a narrow inner boarder of wine. what about edging it with praire points made from scrap fabric? I think that would be sharp. Jayne

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Sharon, I love it. How about a border of HST or just squares. But then again, if you did a solid border it would look even more like a photo on a page. Did I confuse you even more?

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    I love your geesies, goosies!!! I think you can go with any border but the wine sounds gorgeous.
    Beautiful scrappy quilt, I have to get off the redwork and make a scrappy!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, girls.....the more I look at it, the more I think it's ok. I'm thinking I'll make the wine border and then go from there.....I'll see how much fabric I have left to determine the width of it. I had fun making the gooses using that 2 square method..... (grin)

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Your quilt is beautiful. You did really good.
    TFS Be sure to let us see what you decide for a border.
    Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sally. It was certainly a challenge!

I had very little left of the wine fabric, so had to wait to get more. The quilt has been laying on the living room floor for a few days and I'm looking at it. DH says it looks good to him but although I value his opinion (being an artist and all), being the maverick that I am, I sometimes see things differently and have to be content with the decisions on the quilts I make. Besides, right now I have light thread on the machine and am going full speed ahead on finishing some pillowcases for Christmas. Gotta get 'em done and mailed!

• csackett
    16 years ago

Very pretty. I love the scrappy look. Can't wait to see the finished pic.
    Carolyn

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. I've had to put it away for now as my mind is going crazy trying to get some projects done before Christmas. I don't do that much, but I seem to be more scatterbrained this year than normal and there are some things that I think absolutely 'have' to get done....this quilt isn't one of them, but eventually, it'll get there.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

LOL ... "what not to do"! What an intriguing title. I had to see...

Hey, not bad! I like the diagonal pattern that emerges from the seemingly random set of blocks. Very nice, Sharon!