Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
towel toppers

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 16:43

I forgot I had the pattern to make a fast towel topper from a square pot holder and towel. I paid $1.50 for both and turned the holder to the back to embroider it. They don't embroidery well!!! But is sure is a really cheap change for the kitchen. And I washed an identical towel, so this is not washable LOL!!!
I think this would look great with a small quilted pot holder and a more expensive towel. The towel is basted in half and stitched to the middle of the holder. Sew on a button and the loop on the pot holder (to hang it up) is the button fastner. I thought of Sharon's NY towel project when I made this LOL!!! See the streaks from the glass cleaner, that stuff does not work for me and I was too lazy to macrofiber towel it, maybe tommorrow, maybe not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Rosa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: towel toppers

Are you looking for towels already?!!! Even I haven't started looking. lololol This sure is a fast way to make those towels, Rosa. I hope to be able to make up a few. I've got my towels held together by clothespins! And, you mean glass doors don't have streaks built in??????

SharonG/FL

o

Now isn't that just the cutest thing! I gotta get an embroidery machine, no doubt about it.

I didn't know you could remove streaks from glass. What a strange idea.

beverly

o

Rosa! I haven't hardly worked on my table runners today cause I was playing around with towels and potholders!!!!! Gotta get me some more! lol

SharonG/FL

o

Aren't they cute and easy?????
I have had this pattern for years and completely forgot about it.
Show us the pics Sharon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rosa

o

Well, since I don't have an embroidery machine, mine are just plain, the way I bought them. But, now that I've done a couple and sort of know what I'm doing, I might play around with some fancy stitches on the potholder before attaching it to the towel. Can't beat the price! $1.50 plus the button from the big old button can!

SharonG/FL

o

Boy, I really like that. I have been given a couple of towels I keep hanging from my fridge door, and they are way past due for the rag bag, and I never even considered making my own. That's a great idea. I have an old lotto block I pieced I didn't know what to do with, so made into a potholder. I can use that! Thanks.

o

I had to look a couple of times to "get" how the towel was attached....usually there is only one towel half...I really like the idea of having all the towel, that way, either way/side will work. I don't have an embroidery machine so I was thinking an easy/quick applique or folded fabric flowers or yo yo flowers. Your project turned out really cute. It would be something fast for a quick gift. tish

o

I wish I could find the potholders with the loop on the corner. It gives more room for the towel and also for a little decoration. I've only looked at 3 stores so need to look further.

Tish, I like your idea of a quick applique. Could fuse something on then satin-stitch around it. I think I'll look into that today.

SharonG/FL

o

I found some orange pot holders that I stained with coffee so they are not as bright. I think I'll applique some pumpkins for a fall effect.
Sharon I had to cut the loop off and sew it to the corner.It's on the back so it doesn't show at all.
Yo yo flowers would be adorable, there are so many possibilities!!
Rosa

o

Rosa, You are just so innovative! I'll try the cut and corner sew the loop!

I have a sick mind. I have this nice birdhouse towel with some cute little birdies on it. I satin stitched a cute little cat onto the potholder looking at the cute little birdies. I actually had my brother in mind for that one! The potholder is black and the background the cat is on is black so it looks pretty cool. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

Sharon

o

You know I'm a novice can you give me step by step on making these towels with the quilted toppers Thank you so much

o

Susan,
They are sooooooo easy!!! Fold the towel in half to find the center. Lay towel right side up and place pot holder right side down on the towel. Gather the towel to fit the pot holder and I usually hand baste large stitches to hold in place before I sew it on the machine. I use large stitches because it is bulky. use the button to keep it on the stove door. THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!
Rosa

o

Hey something I can actually understand! I was wondering WHY you needed to have to hook thing on the side but THAT is how it stays on the button which is attached to the other side where the hanger goes!!!
I am glad I am not sleepy or I wouldn't have gotten this LOL....
I so like this idea and I think when I get me a machine I will do some for gifts!
Sharon I so love the cat idea, please post a pic, I can't wait to see it lol.

Hey y'all, I'm new to this side :)
:) Aqua

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here