Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melindaeu

2 heart blocks

melindaeu
17 years ago

Wow, ok I'm impressed! I was able to post two photos into one message (although photos are a bit large even though I thought I had reduced them). Takes a little bit of going back and forth between Photobucket and Gardenweb, though, doesn't it? If you know of a better way to do this, please do let me know!

Anyway, these are two recent heart blocks I made for Michelle's quilt. Sure would like to know who all the other beautiful blocks belonged to!

Mel

Comments (10)

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Beautiful, Mel! I just love them!

If you open a word document or notepad, you can copy and paste your photo URL onto the doc or notepad and then copy/paste the photo URL from there into the GW. I make it easy on myself and open two Internet windows, one for my Picturetrail album and one for GW Quilting forum.

Teresa

• quiltdiva
    17 years ago

Mel, I was going to email you about your heart in the second pic that went into Michelle's quilt. Now I see you have another. What pattern did you use? I would love to do these, they're so pretty and different with the angled stripes. By the way, you have the prettiest smile!
    Kay

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

I also open two browsers so I can copy & paste. I get Photobucket on one and this formun on the other. After I open the first I reduce it to about 1/2 to 1/3 of the screen. I open the second and reduce it to the remainder of the screen. I don't like them overlapping - makes me crazy when the currant one pops up.

• melindaeu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tips on how to post the photos. You won't believe the cumbersome method I used & my trials & errors!

Kay, I drew a heart on typewriter paper for the size of the block (halved the paper and drew one side, cut out that side and opened up). Used the paper as a pattern piece to place on interfacing for a flexible pattern piece to cut my final heart with (probably unnecessary, but I was winging it). I cut my strips on the bias and foundation pieced them onto a white cotton square. When full, I pinned my interfacing heart to the square and cut out the heart. Then positioned the heart onto the green square with Heat & Bond. Zigzagged the edges of the heart, then added the border. I didn't do a border on the rust block as I ran out of time, but varied it a bit by piecing it with 3 inch (I think) squares for the square behind the heart.

It was really pretty easy, I just make it sound confusing!

By the way, I enlarged your final piece and looked closely at how you quilted the whole quilt, as I wondered how it would turn out with all the different hearts. It was just.... so beautiful!

Mel

• quiltdiva
    17 years ago

Wow Mel! This is an original Mel pattern, you know! Thanks for the info and I'm saving the instructions because I think a whole quilt with these hearts would be gorgeous! Thank you for the compliments on the quilting. I have no skills at anything fancy, just meandering but it gets a quilt sandwich put together. I quilted Michelle's closer than I usually would because I thought it might have to be washed alot and didn't want the stitching to come apart. Someday if I can ever afford a bigger quilting system I'd love to be able to do feathers and fancy stuff but I have yet to win the lottery. LOL!
    Kay

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Mel, those are lovely. And I must add that you take a good picture too. We need to include more pictures of ourselves when we post.

beverly

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

Grammy, I was thinking about how photogenic Mel is too. Oh, and the heart blocks are also lovely!!! :)

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Very nice Mel,i may have to try that one.

As for photobucket,i don't do anything to change the size of my pictures.All i do is copy the tag line,and paste it in the message and they always come out the right size and the same size every time.
    Kathi

• tuppermom
    17 years ago

Great pics Mel and beautiful blocks. I always re-size my photos in the photo software that came with my camera. It is so much easier to get them a uniform size. I have on occasion forgotten to to so and then I find it very difficult in Photobucket.

Mary

• fran1523
    17 years ago

Those are lovely hearts Mel.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022