Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFG Placemats

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 31, 06 at 18:11

Here is the beginning of the GFG placemats I am making. These are a lot of fun to do. I appliqued the 2 gardens to material but it wasn't too thick to stitch thru. I am going to applique small butterlies in the middle (top and bottom)and the binding will be the pink material. The binding will NOT go on until I get my new machine, as much as I love to hand quilt I positively dislike sewing binding on by hand. I much prefer to sew it on by machine and then I turn it over and hand stitch up the back.
The easiest way I found to hand quilt the little hexes is to quilt the bottom zig zag for each group around and then quilt up and down. This way the quilting is continuous and much easier(and faster) than trying to quilt inside each small 1 inch square individually.
I love the way the hand quilting makes the hexes 'poof' and 'pop'.
I saw an antique GFG that was about 2 inch hexes and they laid perfectly flat. How did they do that? The hand stitches were absolutely beautiful on the quilt and it looked as if it had been ironed.
Rosa
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFG Placemats

The work is lovely, and I sure hope no one gets spaghetti sauce on them! I really like them, but I am not so sure that I would make this myself...I worry about matching up everything and getting it 'just right'. Nice job. Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here