Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melindaeu

My almost done quilt

melindaeu
17 years ago

Well, it's as done as it's going to get for a couple of weeks. I just finished at midnight connecting my patches. I still have the border to go, the batting, and the backing, then the quilting. I pretty much dig it. Many of the squares are from top quality thrift shop shirts and table cloths, especially the plaids. Others are from some stash and some swaps. The blue pieces are from Joann's and it is that fabric that I will be doing the backing from -- it's 102 inches wide.

It's for one of my adult grandsons, who is 6'3" (yeah me, a little 5'1" grandma....how does that happen!?) so I made it longer to fit his bod.

I named it from the beginning, "As American as Apple Pie" (like that's never been done before!). I did that because some of the fabric was apples and pies, and some was rah rah USA stars and stripes. But as I went on, other fabrics started creeping in. It is nothing like the magazine sample that I used for the pattern, no sense to the lights and darks. In fact, the only thing it has in common are the 2 1/2" squares, and the 4 1/2 x 6 1/2" rectangles. The orginal is so pretty which is why I went for this, but I just couldn't duplicate what they did!

Mel

Me at midnight in my jammies.

DH kindly got out of bed to hold take my pic and hold it all up for me.

Comments (14)