Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daybed for the cats

Posted by solstice98 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 13:38

I found a doll's daybed at Goodwill, stripped it of it's old ratty fabric covering and turned it into a 2 level cat bed.
Of course it had to have quilt! I used a simple pattern and tied it instead of quilting it. The top 'bunk' is the quilt resting on a hammock. The hammock is attached with velcro so I can take it off and wash it.

The lower bed, where the trundle would be on a real daybed, is a 5" thick piece of foam. IN the photos it's not in place yet because I have to remove a couple small metal bars under the bed first. As soon as I can find those metal snips I'll get it in there. (But that would mean cleaning the garage and i would rather be sewing!)

I used quite a bit of fabric, but last week I picked up several yards at the local quilt shop that were on sale for $4/yd. I didn't have a plan for it then, but I'm sure glad I bought it.

I've got three cats but Jack was my test subject while I was working on this and I think he's decided it's his!

A pillow for his head

The hammock

The pieced quilt

(lower right corner) a fabric covered tube for cat toys and feathers

Matching catnip-filled toys

Thanks for looking!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daybed for the cats

Real cute grandson wants to know the ame of your kitty!
Red

o

We called him Jack Bauer because we found him at a rescue organization when "24" was our favorite TV show. He had been living under a trailer and seemed like a tough guy. But Jack turned out to be more of a couch potato and cuddler!

Kate

o

I would love to be a cat at your house!

beverly

o

How cute is that! I'm going to tell my brother about this for his cat. He'll probably head right out to look for a doll daybed!

SharonG/FL

o

Great job.I would like to see pics of the other ones when they're finished. I also know someone who would like this for their cat.TFS.
~Geraldine

o

Geraldine, did you mean ME? I won't be making more unless I come across more dolly daybeds at Goodwill prices. Wish I could but I don't think this kind of bargain comes along very often.

Kate

o

Kate,when you said you had other cats, I figured you would be doing ones for them too. I was just thinking about the little quilts and toys and forgetting that you just had the one dolly bed. My BAD. And of course, you're right, it's not very often you're going to come across such a bargain. Although I bet you'll be keeping an eye out for one.
~Geraldine

o

I just love it, the cat and the picture of him laying on the daybed. It's perfectly proportioned for him too, isn't it? It just puts me in mind of my daybed and my husband. I made my first quilt to cover my daybed, and immediately it became my husband's fav nesting spot. He also turned out to be more of a couch potato and cuddler!

o

awwww he looks so cute n comfy!
great job on the bed

o

Kate,
I showed the cute pics to my 2 DGDs. The 12 yr old wants me to make one for her sister's cat to get him off HER bed.
They have a zoo at their house and for some reason this cat has always liked to sleep on her bed.
He likes anything pink or rose colored and that is almost her entire bedroom!!!!
Rosa

o

Very cute!!! You are so clever.

o

Very cute!! Those cats are a tad spoiled,i suspect.LOL
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here