Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncle J's Neckties - WIP

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 11:12

It's been a year and a half. I've finally gotten to this point. This laid on the kitchen table (we don't use it anyway) for quite awhile because I couldn't bring myself to cut the narrow ends off. Then it got to where I could smell his scent....needless to say, it's a work in progress. I have it in halves, 1 yard for each end. I think I'm going to see about putting the backing on now and sewing the ties down, then sew the halves together. The lighting isn't quite right but you get the idea....
JP

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncle J's Neckties - WIP

Wow, that is going to be great, will love to see the finished quilt.

o

Thanks, maggie sue, I'll be sure to post a picture when it happens. @:)

Sharon

o

Oh Wow! This looks like the display table of ties in Norstroms! Are you planning on sewing these ties to each other - thru the muslin(?) backing?

o

Yes, I plan to hand stitch the ties down. I have them on an off-white fabric but might use muslin for the backing. I hadn't planned on using any kind of batting as I didn't take out the lining of the ties and I didn't want it heavy. She just plans to drape it on the back of her couch or chair so she can look at them. I'm thinking I'll sew them down through this fabric first and then after the center is done, I might just outline the points all the way around through the backing....we'll see. @:)

Sharon

o

That will be beautiful when you finish it. What a great way to use the ties.

beverly

o

How sweet she wants to look at his ties...........it will make a nice coverlet.
I used to make ties - most, if not all, are interfaced with a horsehair interfacing, which is heavy, and since the ties are sewn on the bias, I agree you need to sew them to the backing fabric to stabilize them w/out batting. You then may want to consider a very low loft or flannel batting beyond the points to even out the thickness ~ stitching, maybe echo quilting around the points of the ties. What a
nice gift / memento you are making. Please post your pics when you finish it (or before).

o

Mago, I did take the inferfacing out of one tie and felt the weight. I was really surprised, but I still didn't take out the rest of them! I like the flannel idea for beyond the ties. Thanks!

She wants it pretty much lap size so I probably won't make it much larger than what it already is, except for borders. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. I've decided (I think) on a deep red/wine on black fabric to use in the middle of the ties.

Sharon

o

A great collection of ties. I think the deep red/wine on black will really look gorgeous.
The way you have them laid out in the oval pattern looks good too.
Rosa

o

Thanks, Rosa. The oval just sort of 'happened' when I started laying them out. I like it better than the dresden plate look....especially since I wanted to use as many ties as I could. I have a little over half of them there and I know she gave away a bunch before she gave me what was left.

Sharon

o

Sharon - good choice for color - since you have so many ties leftover, maybe you can use them as a narrow binding. Ties are sewn on the bias, so you have a built-in diagonal seam and it appears he really liked stripes. This really is very a very cool project and so nice of you. Did he use tie tacks or a tie bar? (is that what they are called? can't recall - those things that kept the tie attached to the dress shirt), if so maybe you could include it on one of the ties.

o

Mago, Great idea for the binding! Yes, he used both tie tacks and bars but I don't have any of them. I'm sure she kept a few.

SharonG/FL

o

What an interesting project. Never thought of doing anything with ties. This will be a real conversation piece. Looking forward to the finished pics.
Jean

o

This won't be finished anytime soon. It's still where it was in the picture. But, I have decided what I want for the center and the backing and plan to stablize it a bit more before moving it off the table this week.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here