Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charms on Point - easy technique

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 10:32

This is an easy way of putting those squares on-point. They're laid out 10 across and 14 down with 17 stratigically placed blocks for the edge triangles. (I used 6" squares - 5" would be better) Cut through the triangles, rearrange the pieces and there's your on-point quilt! You do lose the points of the squares on the edges, so if that's important to you, you won't want to do this. I think I started it in 2007 and finished quilting it last night. It's 56" X 80" Another UFO bites the dust!
Char

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charms on Point - easy technique

Wow, that is just beautiful! Great quilt, love all the bright colors and the boarder is just perfect!

o

Thanks, maggie sue. I used a narrow border the same fabric as the edge triangles to make it look like a continuation of them so as not to notice the missing points so much. @:)

Sharon

o

Wouldn't making the edge triangles slightly larger (1/4"?) solve the problem of losing the points? As long as the angle stayed the same, I don't see why that wouldn't work...it would bring the bottom edge of the triangles down past the points of the squares to accommodate a seam allowance for a border, so when you add the border, the point should still be there...in theory!

Salijo

o

Sal, The edge pieces start out as squares the same size as the other squares and are placed in the body of the quilt. If they were made larger, they wouldn't meet at the corners. It's difficult for me to explain...I'll send you a pic of the layout.

mom

o

I love the colors!!! I will have to try this. Sharon I did not notice the points at all so it must be only a small amount.
Rosa

o

Thanks, Rosa. It isn't much, but it isn't a true sharp point and to some people that's important. For a drag around have fun quilt, it doesn't bother me.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here