Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging with Japanese birds

Posted by biwako_of_abi (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 23:21

As you can see, for this wall hanging--also made for DH--I used outlines from the same coloring book patterns and just looked up the details on Japanese birds that had shapes and beaks similar to the American ones. DH helped with the research. This piece is also machine quilted. I hope machine quilting is not a no-no on this forum!

Image link: Hanging with Japanese birds (36 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging with Japanese birds

What a lovely quilt. My grandmother used coloring books for inspiration also. Machine quilting in most welcome on this forum.

beverly

o

Biwako,your work is beautiful. I love birds. You have captured them so wonderfully.
What an accomplished artist you are.
Thank you so much for sharing this and the other quilt.
I am going to copy it to my "Inspirational File" to look at when I need a boost.
Thanks again,
doris

o

Oh, my! More birds. I'd have to sit down if I wasn't already.

o

Thanks, GrammyP and Doris. Grammy, what sorts of coloring books did your grandmother find inspiration in, do you know?
Glassquilt: LOL. I had to *lie* down after finishing the three American bird quilts in one summer. I was pretty sick of birds by then, and I don't know how I managed to get up enough interest to do the Japanese hanging after that; it was probably just the challenge of figuring out which picture in the coloring book would fit which Japanese species.

o

Wow that's gorgeous,i also love birds,as long as they are outside.LOL That's just beautiful!!!
Kathi

o

Oh that's just beautiful! Looks like it was alot of work and time comsuming but what gorgeous birds!
Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here