Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quilt of American birds

Posted by biwako_of_abi (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 23:15

I made this for DH, years ago, and now we have it on our living room wall. Traced the pictures from a coloring book. I quilted each square as I went along, and my only regret about this quilt is that I used some special Japanese "dyeing crayons" for the colors, so they didn't stand up as well as textile paints. After this quilt, I made two duplicates of it, using textile paints, one for my mother and one for my aunt, but I quilted those by machine to save time.

The birds are stuffed a bit extra, and I quilted all around the pictures, the lines being about 1/4" apart. I had plenty of time that summer, being on a visit to my aunt and mother, because we sat around and talked and watched TV almost all the time.

Image link: Quilt of American birds (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quilt of American birds

Fabulous quilts. It must look stunning on the wall. I agree the paints hold up much better than the crayons. I have also used dyes instead of paints and they held up very well also.

beverly

o

Beautiful birds. I'd have trouble drawing one or two and you did a whole flock three times.

o

What beautiful birds. I am amazed at how life like they look. If I tried that it would look like some little kid tried their hand at coloring.
Lucy

o

You are definitely an artist!! I could never and would never attempt anything like that!! It's beautiful!

o

A spectacular quilt! You are certainly a talented artist as well as quilter. Thanks for sharing!

o

Thanks for the nice words, everyone. They are the more welcome because I have been looking through the pictures in the Gallery and seeing what great quilt makers there are on this forum. Your quilts are inspiring, and I am looking forward to viewing all the ones in the Gallery, bit by bit. What a treat!

The coloring book really deserves the praise for artistry. I only wish I could draw birds well. Cats and dogs are more my thing (doing leather tooling).

o

Holy Cow! (Or maybe I should say "Big Bird!") You traces/drew all those? WOW. Gorgeous. I looked at the picture before reading yor post and just assumed they were panels.

Lovely.

o

Your quilts are just beautiful! I'm just awestruck. Thanks for sharing.
Teresa

o

Laura in SD: Yes, to be specific, I traced them and transferred them using regular carbon paper. Then I outlined them with permanent market.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here