Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Basting Board

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 15:11

The post in Discussions got me to thinking that I don't think I've ever posted a pic of what DH made for me to baste on. I just place it on the kitchen table when I want to baste. The duct tape acts as a hinge and it folds to 24" by 72" so fits nicely behind a door when not in use. It sure has saved me from crawling around on the floor. Opened up, it's 48" X 72" and since I don't do very many big bed size quilts, this serves me well. I tacked a piece of flannel to one side to use as a design board, so it doesn't spend much time behind a door. I've also been known to put my big ironing board (DH made me) on the kitchen table rather than set up the reg ironing board to put it on.
Photobucket
SharonG/FL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Basting Board

Now why didn't I think of that????

beverly

o

Beverly, Another quilter's DH made one for her and she shared the info. I don't remember how long ago it's been, but I sure do appreciate it. She never posted a picture of it so I don't know what her's looked like. We had Home Depot cut the plywood at 6ft then split it down the middle. Clay sanded and varnished so it isn't rough. I don't think I could handle it full size and, for me, it wouldn't be so easy to store.

SharonG/FL

o

what a perfect solution. Boy I sure can't get to the floor and if I did, it would take a crane to lift me back up! LOL>
Jean

o

Very crafty hubby!!! I love the duck tape idea for hinges.
Rosa

o

Jean, I feel the same way!! If I had one of those electric chairs, I could crawl over and have the footrest lift me up like my mom did when she fell and couldn't get up. Innovative lady, she is!

Rosa, Duct tape, rah rah rah, good for many things! I'm also using the 'donut pillow' on the chair (the up/down feature no longer works) at my sewing machine to make me taller and my back doesn't hurt for those long periods of time at the machine. Maybe I should make a special 'quilty' covering for it rather than wrapping a beach towel around it. lol

Make sure the weight of the plywood is something you can handle. I carried it around in the store before we had it cut. @:)

SharonG/FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here