Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Jack-O-Lantern Table Topper

I knew the camera batteries were on the way out so this is a 'point and click' picture and a little crooked. I appliqued the nose and stem and if I do another Jack-O-Lantern, I'll applique the eyes and mouth. I think he looks a bit cross-eyed like this. No pattern that I know of, I just went with it!

SharonG/FL

Comments (12)

• day2day
    15 years ago

Oh. he's cute! I like the leafy fabric.How big is it? I think I'd like to do some placemats and a runner with that pattern.. Since it's your own design, I guess I'll need your okay for that. Anyway, TFS.
    ~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geraldine, It ended up being 19" X 31" and the squares are 2" finished. The rest is just whatever. Help yourself to whatever you want to use of it. I used another leafy autumn fabric for the backing (has various kinds of squash) so it can be reversed. What I ended up doing for the nose and stem is to use two pieces of fabric, machine sew around the triangle leaving a small opening, then turn and press. I thought it made it easier cause I didn't have to deal with any raw edges, but you can do whatever you want.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Sharon, he is cute. I like the cross-eyed look, gives him character.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Beverly. You're right...the cross-eyed look would go with Halloween. lol

SharonG/FL

• nana24
    15 years ago

Sharon,
    He is very cute. The colors are so fall. My DD loves orange so it is one of our colors.
    You did a great job laying it out and without a pattern! I agree with Beverly, I like his eyes.

Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sally. It was fun to make. I think a patriotic one is next.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

very cute!!

• love2sew
    15 years ago

He is such a happy jack-o-lantern. I love how you have him placed inside the dark border and the pretty leaves fabric is very effective. Great job and now you are a designer!
    Jean

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

He is so festive, I love him!!!!
    I need to pull out my holiday prints and see what I have.
    Summer is almost over.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jennifer.

Jean, The design part just happened, it isn't an ongoing talent by any means. I like to put black with any bright fabric to make it really stand out..specially when it's a whimsical project.

Rosa, I had just bought all these orange fabrics to make a carrot tablerunner. I still want to, but it isn't in the near future. Too much going on and I'm not feeling up to par. This heat is sapping my energy but I need to clean up my sewing area today...it's really messy, even for me.

SharonG/FL

• chrizty
    15 years ago

love it! he's just to cute!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Chrizty. It really was fun to put together. Fourteen yo DGD was here when I was auditioning background fab. I knew what I wanted, but let her look at the various fabrics I had out and let her think she decided. I try to work things out so she can experience part of my quilting and any design factors as much as possible. She isn't interested in it right now, but she has a good eye and maybe years down the road, she might remember.

SharonG/FL