Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moogies_gw

I finally finished it!!!

moogies
17 years ago

Here's my 3rd quilt - made it for my sister's housewarming. I have since resolved to NEVER prewash a gift quilt. The red backing bled onto the front when I washed it in synthropol and turned all the white chicken wire pink. I was just sick! But I took a tablespoon of rit color remover, mixed it in a few cups of water and painted it on just the (now) pink fabric with a large paintbrush. It immediately turned white again and I quickly washed it again - looked good as new. But that was a close call and something I hope never to repeat. I bought a bottle of retayne to wash the red fabric for my next quilt. (Why do I keep choosing red fabrics???)

Here is a link that might be useful: KaleidoCluck Quilt

Comments (22)

• ironkit
    17 years ago

Very very purdy. Looks very intricate. Glad you got it all back to perfect, that's a close call!

~ Kit

• mexicomarti
    17 years ago

Kewl! Love the colors and the designs. But are they supposed to be chickens? Don't look like chickens to me, but I love it anyway.

Marti in Mexico

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

You choose red fabrics 'cause they're so pretty! And that quilt is a beauty. I'm glad your close call could turn out to be a lesson for all of us.

I always prewash fabrics in warm water before making the quilt. I've used some reds and not had trouble after the initial prewashing. I do like to wash my finished product before giving it away because of the way the quilt puckers once washed once. I don't want the recipient to think they hurt it the first time they wash it.

BACK TO YOUR QUILT -- it is gorgeous. And I love the name. At first I was like - cluck??? OH, Cluck!

She will love it. So glad the red came out of the wrong places!

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Beautiful! You did such a great job on this quilt! I admire those quilters who can do these kaleidoscope quilts. I think I would go blind!

Glad the "red" episode turned out well. I would use red more but I'm always afraid of running problems - even AFTER I washed the fabric.

Teresa

• moogies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all your kind comments! The kaleidoscope blocks are from chicken fabric - hence KaleidoCluck. :) (my son's idea) I've added some close-ups, if anyone is interested.

I think I'm through with my kaleidoscope binge for a while... LOL.

Kathi

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the

• maggie_sue
    17 years ago

WOW that is beautiful, just love kaleidoscope patterns!!

• redpenny
    17 years ago

Kathi,
    Glad everything worked out well!
    Wow hard to believe that is only your 3rd quilt great job!
    Red

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

You do nice work! That's a nice tip about how you removed the offending color run! I do always prewash my fabric, but even then, I think some colors just have problems - I've noticed some browns run too.

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Hard to believe that is your 3rd quilt. My 3rd certainly didn't look that nice. I don't think I could part with that one. Great job.

beverly

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

That is a grat quilt.

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I meant to say GREAT quilt.

• hoerlel
    17 years ago

Wonderful job and a beautiful quilt. I can't believe that is only your third quilt. You outdid yourself and your sister will love it.

How did you ever quilt out Windsong? I couldn't even write it that well with pencil and paper.

• quiltdiva
    17 years ago

Kathi, not only is your kaleidoscope quilt stunning, but your Celtic is too! They're both incredible and it's hard to believe this is only your third quilt! You are so talented!
    Kay

• ddavisgray
    17 years ago

Kathi, I love your quilts. Your work is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your quilts.

doris

• moogies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for being so encouraging! I could never have completed this quilt without your help - I did so many searches on this forum to find out how to do so many things - so it's actually a group project. :)

For instance, someone (I'm afraid I don't remember who) recommended using Glad Press and Seal to transfer designs. I was hung up for the longest on how to transfer "Windsong" onto black fabric. But I printed out the word, using Edwardian Script ITC at 300 size (it took 2 pages), pressed the Glad PS on and traced over it with a purple sharpie. Then I peeled it off and centered it on each end of the quilt. Since the Glad PS is frosted, the dark sharpie showed up just fine on the black fabric and I free motioned quilted it.

I appreciate so much this forum and all the wonderful information ya'll post here. I don't post often, but always find friendly people who are more than happy to share their knowledge. Thank you so very much!!

Kathi

• cannahavana
    17 years ago

Where in the world did you find all the chicken fabric?!? That is absolutely adorable and definetly one of a kind. I love it!

Rebecca

• meskauskas
    17 years ago

What a great quilt! I love all those kaleidoscoped (is that a word?) chickens! Glad to hear that all turned out well in the end.
    Clara

• angep
    17 years ago

That's very pretty. I have wanted to try that pattern.

• hoerlel
    17 years ago

That came out beautiful! I am so glad it all worked out so well for you.

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

I love S&W style quilts! Fell in love with them when I first saw them and had to learn how to do it. My first quilt, actually my first five quilts were S&W. I made one for each grandchild.

I have since resolved to NEVER prewash a gift quilt. The red backing bled onto the front when I washed it in synthropol and turned all the white chicken wire pink.

That's just why I always wash my quilts before gifting, I want to know if something is amiss. You knew what to do to fix the problem and fixed it. I can imagine some of my receipients not having a clue how to handle the problem you had.

• biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

Oh, that is such a gorgeous quilt! Thanks for the close-up, which let me finally figure out how the blocks were pieced. I am new here and didn't know kaleidoscopic quilt really meant, so I was going crazy trying to figure out how you got that pinwheel/flower effect.

• trifles
    17 years ago

Lucky sister~ and beautiful job, especially for a third quilt! Very clever of you, the way you fixed it. I can imagine how you felt when you first saw it, but all's well that ends well. Just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!