Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June Quilt Challenge

Posted by calliope (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 10:08

This is the simple four patch with sashes, quilt I finished in response to Coalaska's Challenge to get a UFO done in June. I found about half the blocks, some already sewn into rows in my mother's closet after she passed away. So, I used a lot of material out of her stash, and some from mine to make more blocks in the same motif (how scrappy can you get?) and finally got the binding sewn on yesterday. A lot of this fabric is vintage 50s and 60s. Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June Quilt Challenge

I love it! Wonderful quilt, wonderful job.

Mary

o

That's really nice and comfy looking and I like the story behind it as well. Congrats on finishing! --Amy

o

Very nice and thanks so much for posting. Looks so homey. Deanna

o

Congratulations on finishing and that is a very homey, comfortable looking quilt. I'm still plugging along and spinning my wheels with my unfinished quilts. TFS.

o

Thanks for your very kind comments. This was a pattern I'd have never chosen, likely. I had my doubts whether I'd be satisfied with the results, or be motivated enough to finish it, because of that. I am obliged to hand quilt, and it was tough going, because this was indeed a quilt made of scraps and not all of them were the more delicate, easily worked cottons one normally considers quilting material these days. But, it certainly does reflect an era, where every scrap was saved to be used again. I know some of the material were old blouses, curtains, bedsheets, dresses and remnants from home clothes sewing. It's very typical of the type of quilt my MIL would make back on the farm, and it has a terrible amount of sentimental value since it was a UFO from my mother's cache. I hope my son and his wife think of it in that light and treasure it for that reason.

o

Beautiful!! I love your broder and binding choices. I would make sure my son knew exactly how sentimental the quilt is to you.
In a very thoughtful and loving way of course. I am just thinking that I would have to spell it out for MY son LOL!!!!
I don't think I could give it away even to a fam member, you are so very generous.
But I have a hard time giving away any quilt, I keep very few but I do get attached to them.
Rosa

o

I, too, like your border and binding choices. What a wonderful gift to receive. You did a great job.
I don't think I could give away something that had sentimental value to me, although I think I might if I knew the recipient appreciated the sentimental value.
TFS.
~Geraldine

o

Great story to go along with a very special quilt. It's a nice quilt and I hope your son and his wife will appreciate your hard work to get it completed. Well done....

SharonG/FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here