Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
csackett_gw

Use for Ugly Fabric

csackett
16 years ago

I saw this in a magazine and it's a great use for ugly fabric. You cut the fabric in strips and wrap around cotton clothesline cord. It's easier to use bias strips but not necessary. One of the quilt shops I visited even made purses like this. In the pic I have two trivets and a small bowl.

Carolyn

Image link:

Comments (7)

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Those are great! Love the RWB

You know, I've seen these, and big baskets like these, that I've covetted! But they cost more than I'm willing to spend.

How do you sew the covered cording together as you assemble your project? I'm assuming it's just like making your own cording, but what about the extra fabric on the rough edges?

Information please!! LOL

• csackett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I cut 1 inch bias strips. Extend the fabric a little and fold it over the end of the cording and start wrapping around the cording. Fold the end over to the strip and zig-zag together. Then start sewing the two sections together as you continue to add more covered cording. It's important to sew the project clockwise. this keeps your extra cording and fabric strip out of the way (or in your lap) as you sew. I used rubber bands to hold my fabric strip on a spool and to keep my cotton clothesline from getting tangled up. It was really fun and I hope to get more creative. It uses a lot of thread. If you need pics let me know.
    Carolyn

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the photo, Carolyn. I saw someone demonstrating the making of these at a quilt show. I have also seen it on a TV show. Forget which one. But it looks so easy, I have to buy some clothesline and make a basket or two to contain the magazines and other clutter around the house. Like you said, you can use "uglies," since you'll only be seeing tiny strips of the pattern.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Very nice. It sets the brain ticking. So many projects and so little time.

• froggyquilter
    16 years ago

Does anyone know what those are called? I would love to see if I could find instructions on making them

• csackett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The is a book out that shows purses on the cover. I'll try to get the name and send it to you. A friend of mine has made large runs for her bedroom and bathroom. I had trouble when things got too large. I do want to make a purse someday. Carolyn

• nana24
    16 years ago

Carolyn,
    I am such a visual person (dense too I guess). You sewed these together on your sewing machine? My sister has made baskets in a similar fashion but she did them by hand. I'd really like to know more. I'll wait for the name of the book. I hope it has basic instructions.

Thanks,
    Sally