Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brights

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 22:29

I'm not real happy with this one. It's supposed to be 'scrappy' but I don't really know how to do scrappy. If I do another one like this, I think I'll do some planning and using cornerstones would really make it easier, too. However, maybe using cornerstones would do away with the 'look' of stained glass?????

SharonG/FL

Image link: Brights (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brights

Sharon,

I quite like this and especially the stained glass effect. IMHO it is hard to do scrappy unless you have prints. The solid colours just don't behave the same way.

Anne

o

I love this one. The colors are just my style and the sashing makes it look "fancier" than just a scrappy quilt. Good job.

beverly

o

Nice - like the skinny, black sashing.

o

Lovely! I like it just the way it is! And it looks scrappy to me, just a controlled scrappy. No corner stones needed. If it is supposed to look like stained glass, I don't think patterned fabric would work very well.

The sashing is great!

o

My kinda quilt real bright... Love it.

Nanciii

o

I also like it,i like the stained glass look it has.Good Job!!!
Kathi

o

Very pretty. I like that look.

o

Thank you, everyone. After I had it laid out, I took a picture of it so I would know where the blocks were supposed to go after I started sewing it together. Good thing I did! Even though I numbered the horizontal rows and used the alphabet for the vertical rows, I still had to perform the noted Frog Dance a couple times. @:)

o

It's hard for me to do scrappy too, Sharon and I remember a tip of long ago to put your scraps in a paper bag and don't peek and whatever you pull out, that's the next piece you use. I like the idea but I'm afraid I'd want to take too much control. LOL! I love your quilt here and think the stained glass look is just beautiful! Looks like I'm peering through a window.
Kay

o

I like it very much, especially the way it all comes together with the thin sashing. It glows without being glaring.
Clara

o

Sharon, your quilt looks like stained glass...wow this sure is the right name for this quilt...Judy

o

Kay, Me, too......seems like I need to have some kind of control going on.

Clara, This is the first time I've used such narrow sashing, but for this, it worked!

Thanks, Judy. I was hoping it would end up looking like stained glass. I would really like to do another one someday.

o

I love it just the way it is, too!

o

Thank you, Lucy. I need to build up my 'brights' stash again before I do another one. The squares are actually HST and very easy to do.

My DD1 is a graphic artist and I'm hoping she'll graph one on the computer (I have EQ5 but don't have the patience to deal with it right now) while I'm with her in Indiana this summer.

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon,
I think it's beautiful as is! You did a great job!
Carolyn

o

I love the narrow sashing. It's beautiful.

o

Thank you. The sashing was cut at 1" so it's supposed to end up being 1/2" but there are places it might be more or less.......you girls wouldn't know about things like that, would you? @:)

SharonG/FL (now in Indiana for awhile and not able to get on computer too often)

o

Oh, I really like that! Well, of course I would, me being the Queen of Solids and Brights. LOL I think it turned out great! And those skinny 1/2" sashings are hard to do, but look fabulous.

Marti in Mexico

o

I love your Brights. I like the look of stain glass, and those narrow sashings look great.
Thank you for sharing.
doris

o

WOW-I love it. I just wouldn't be able to handle the narrow sashings. You deserve a big BRAVO!! Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here