Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Brights

I'm not real happy with this one. It's supposed to be 'scrappy' but I don't really know how to do scrappy. If I do another one like this, I think I'll do some planning and using cornerstones would really make it easier, too. However, maybe using cornerstones would do away with the 'look' of stained glass?????

SharonG/FL

Image link:

Comments (20)

• mum_in_africa
    17 years ago

Sharon,

I quite like this and especially the stained glass effect. IMHO it is hard to do scrappy unless you have prints. The solid colours just don't behave the same way.

Anne

• grammyp
    17 years ago

I love this one. The colors are just my style and the sashing makes it look "fancier" than just a scrappy quilt. Good job.

beverly

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

Nice - like the skinny, black sashing.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Lovely! I like it just the way it is! And it looks scrappy to me, just a controlled scrappy. No corner stones needed. If it is supposed to look like stained glass, I don't think patterned fabric would work very well.

The sashing is great!

• nanciii
    17 years ago

My kinda quilt real bright... Love it.

Nanciii

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I also like it,i like the stained glass look it has.Good Job!!!
    Kathi

• gerizone5
    17 years ago

Very pretty. I like that look.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, everyone. After I had it laid out, I took a picture of it so I would know where the blocks were supposed to go after I started sewing it together. Good thing I did! Even though I numbered the horizontal rows and used the alphabet for the vertical rows, I still had to perform the noted Frog Dance a couple times. @:)

• quiltdiva
    17 years ago

It's hard for me to do scrappy too, Sharon and I remember a tip of long ago to put your scraps in a paper bag and don't peek and whatever you pull out, that's the next piece you use. I like the idea but I'm afraid I'd want to take too much control. LOL! I love your quilt here and think the stained glass look is just beautiful! Looks like I'm peering through a window.
    Kay

• meskauskas
    17 years ago

I like it very much, especially the way it all comes together with the thin sashing. It glows without being glaring.
    Clara

• juttz
    17 years ago

Sharon, your quilt looks like stained glass...wow this sure is the right name for this quilt...Judy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kay, Me, too......seems like I need to have some kind of control going on.

Clara, This is the first time I've used such narrow sashing, but for this, it worked!

Thanks, Judy. I was hoping it would end up looking like stained glass. I would really like to do another one someday.

• hoerlel
    17 years ago

I love it just the way it is, too!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, Lucy. I need to build up my 'brights' stash again before I do another one. The squares are actually HST and very easy to do.

My DD1 is a graphic artist and I'm hoping she'll graph one on the computer (I have EQ5 but don't have the patience to deal with it right now) while I'm with her in Indiana this summer.

SharonG/FL

• csackett
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    I think it's beautiful as is! You did a great job!
    Carolyn

• fran1523
    17 years ago

I love the narrow sashing. It's beautiful.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you. The sashing was cut at 1" so it's supposed to end up being 1/2" but there are places it might be more or less.......you girls wouldn't know about things like that, would you? @:)

SharonG/FL (now in Indiana for awhile and not able to get on computer too often)

• mexicomarti
    17 years ago

Oh, I really like that! Well, of course I would, me being the Queen of Solids and Brights. LOL I think it turned out great! And those skinny 1/2" sashings are hard to do, but look fabulous.

Marti in Mexico

• ddavisgray
    17 years ago

I love your Brights. I like the look of stain glass, and those narrow sashings look great.
    Thank you for sharing.
    doris

• deannabsd
    17 years ago

WOW-I love it. I just wouldn't be able to handle the narrow sashings. You deserve a big BRAVO!! Deanna