Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Salad Bar Basket Weave

This is #17 for this year and I finished quilting it today. The back is bright yellow fleece and I quilted it with black thread. My mom and I brainstormed and came up with the name Salad Bar for this quilt. It's veggies and fruits.....and yes, some cake, too. @:)

{{!gwi}}

SharonG/FL

Comments (21)

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Oh, I wish it was bigger so I could see the fabrics! It looks nice, who is it going to?

Vicky

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vicky, I'll see if I can make it bigger......if this works, I'll delete the other one........there are a few fabrics with pasta, too. The blocks are 6 1/2 inches.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, rats! It isn't much bigger.....if you want it bigger, let me know and I'll see what I can do....

This one isn't designated.....I plan to take it up north with me along with the Deere John tractor quilt and another one I have finished.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Sharron, that is great. I gotta make a basket weave, which pattern did you use?

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beverly, I didn't use a pattern....as such. Cut rectangle at 4 1/2 X 6 1/2 inches and strips at 1 1/2 X 6 1/2 inches. Sew narrow strips to long sides of rectangle so you get a 6 1/2" unfinished - 6" finished block.

QAF is having a swap of these now only they're using 30's fabric with WOW. They're calling it Granny's Basketweave Block Swap.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

I have a whole bunch from a food fabric swap. I think I will borrow your idea and use them up.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beverly, You'll have fun making it. After I had the fabric cut, I laid it beside my machine and used them as leaders and enders when sewing other blocks....it really goes fast. Hmmmmmm, I'm wondering, if a person has fat quarters, or using a width of fabric, how it would be to just sew the strips on each side and then subcut to 6 1/2"? Of course, if you're not using the same fabric more than once in the quilt, that wouldn't work. I think I want to make another one only using flowers instead of food and green instead of black. (I'm supposed to be putting my stuff away, not making more!!!!.......I just can't help myself!)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    I love the quilt!!! When I saw your post I immediately thought, 'what is a salad bar basket weave?' LOL
    Can't wait to see the flowers. Have a great time on your vacation.
    Rosa

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Ohhh, I have my big flower fabric exchange blocks, I may use them. Good idea, thanks Sharon.

beverly

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Sharon you just come up with the neatest ideas...oh big flowers would look great. We will miss your posts when you are on vacation...but have a great time!
    Jean

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK.....I got out my flower fabric last night and was looking it over......and thought to myself, "What am I doing?!" So, I put it all away....when I come home in Sept, if I remember, I'll make it then. By then, both of Beverly's will be done, food and flower, right Beverly? lol

Jean, I get my ideas from seeing other quilts on the internet. As long as I'm not breaking any copyright laws, I figure I'm ok. I plan to visit the forum thru my DD's computer, just won't have any pictures.

Rosa, Vacation......visiting with DD's, grandkids and great-grandkids. I'll be posting in Conversations before I leave, as I'm hoping to meet up with a couple members while I'm in Indiana for a couple months. WOOOHOOOOO...

SharonG/FL

• kelly4905
    16 years ago

Sharon, that is super cute!! I've saved your pic and 'pattern' to my "inspirations" folder. Thanks!

Kelly (Nebraska)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kelly, You're welcome! I'm glad to be part of your inspiration folder. @:)

SharonG/FL

• new2quilting
    16 years ago

I love food fabrics (though I'll have to do a swap to get some!). What a neat quilt and with the black background it really looks great. Thanks for the explanation of how to make the blocks, too. This is my first time checking out the gallery - you have some beautiful quilts! --Amy

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Thanks for the dimensions. I may use it for a memory quilt or two.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Amy.

glass....you're welcome. @:) I think that's what quilting is all about.....sharing and caring.

Further down in the posts, I posted a pic of a Bright and Black top. That's the same pattern as this one only done in some small pieces of fabric I wanted to use up (mostly Batiks) instead of the food fabric.

SharonG/FL

• dmsgal
    16 years ago

I love that ! This is the first time I visited the gallery. Boy I am finding tons of great pics. and ideas. Mary in Va

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary in Va, I've gotten plenty of ideas/inspiration from pictures that have been posted, too! I think that's why we like pics!!! @:)

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    16 years ago

I love it! I hope you don't care if I utilize your instructions for a quilt in Colorado!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go for it, Sue!

Maybe we can have a Basket Weave thread and everyone can post a pic of their version! I like to see quilts made from the same pattern by several people and the fabrics they put together.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This quilt went to DD2's three year old foster child who only spoke Spanish when she got her. We've been using the fruit and veggies as a helper in teaching her English. DD2 also has her 12 year old sister (who speaks English) and her 5 year old brother....he got the Deere John tractor quilt and was able to learn 'tractor, deer, barn, windmill, etc. They may be going back to their mom soon but at least they'll know a little English.

SharonG/FL-IN-now in MI