Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Churn Dash Comfort Quilt

I just finished quilting this. It's for the teenage daughter of one of the couples my DD and her DH know. She has just come home from the hospital after being in a coma.

I had the blocks from a BOM I had won and they were just waiting for inspiration. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out with the burgandy sashing and the mauve and midnight blue borders.

SharonG/FL

Comments (13)

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Very nice and such a sweet thing to do. I know the girl will just love it.

Vicky

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

That turned out great! Nice to see a bunch of blocks find a nice home!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have quite a few blocks that will (hopefully) find a home like this one did. Some are orphans, so will probably make a sampler.....some day. @:) I can't do the BOM that Red posts, but I enjoy making just one block and hope to get a sampler for charity.

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    I never would have thought burgandy, mauve, and midnight blue would be so beautiful together.
    It is a great color combo for teens (for me too).
    I'm glad she is recovering.
    Rosa

• maryliz
    16 years ago

You have certainly been sewing a lot lately, Sharon! So nice of you to make a quilt for someone who needs extra "lovies."

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryliz, I'm retired and am not an outdoorsy type of person and I like to have 2 or 3 tops going at the same time. It keeps me from getting bored doing the same one til it's done and they seem to go faster. I'm winding down now as we're leaving for up north in a couple weeks. I just finished sewing the Scrappy Mountain blocks together and will take that with me to put borders on at #1DD's house......hopefully. Plus, I'd like to get the quilting done on this Rail Fence for my #3DD today, so there might be another pic soon. Then, I need to start putting things away........last year when I did that, I got them out again and did more sewing.....couldn't stand it! @:)

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Your quilt is so pretty. What a wonderful thing to do with it. You will be blessed as well as the receiver.

I'm nosey. You are in FL;do you go north in the summer and back to FL in the winter? Or is this just vacation? Whatever it is have fun.

Sally

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Me again. I just looked at another of your posts and saw you said something about your summer trip north so I guess that answers my nosey question. Ha.
    You do do beautiful work.
    Sally

• love2sew
    16 years ago

I love how you used the colors and they go together beautifully. You are a very generous person.
    Jean

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosa, I very rarely figure out a quilt all the way thru before I make it. the top usually lays on the floor or hangs on the design board for a day or two with various fabrics to use for borders....eventually it clicks and I know that's the fabric to use.

Jean, Thank you.

Sally, DH prefers to stay home but he's venturing north for a few days this summer because of my mom's 90th BD. I'll stay up there for a few months and he'll come back to what he calls, the estate. We've lived in FL for almost 10 years now and he loves being able to be outside year round.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    We live in south Louisiana so I suppose our weather is about the same. Since we have never lived where it is really cold, I wouldn't know about that but I too like being outside a lot.

My husband still works. When we took a new job
    2 1/2 years, we decided to build for the first time since there was not a lot of housing available in our area. We have said it is our "home-home" our "vacation home" and our "retirement home". In other words we hope to stay here.
    I guess the truth be told we are both pretty much "home bodies". We do like to take short trips and go see the
    grandchildren ( 2 in TX and 2 in Kansas).

You do beautiful work and it is inspiring.

Hope your Mom has a lovely b/d.

Sally

• fran1523
    16 years ago

That is a charmer and my absolute favorite type of quilt...an old fashioned pattern in scrappy colors. Just lovely.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words about the quilt.

The girl that I made this for has been left with some brain problems. She was at a party and someone drugged her really bad. She was lucky that they got scared and called 911. Keep reminding your kids to keep vigilent....even of people you think are your friends.

Mom had a great party...lots of people....former neighbors we haven't seen in years who now live in surrounding towns showed up because they heard it on the radio....it was a great reunion day but not enough time to stand around and play 'catch-up' with everyone.....except with my first real crush (the 'boy' next door....who is now 72! Seeing this in print is funny but I'm gonna post it anyway). @:)

SharonG/FL-IN-now in MI