Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed Up Butterflies

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 13:08

This is just the top and I got the idea for this quilt from the Bento Box pattern. I started out with a 6" square and added 2 rows (fabric cut 3") all the way around the square (light/dark/light or dark/light/dark). at this point, the block measured 16" - I then cut it in half (both ways) ending up with 4 - 8" squares. Then combined them. I used different butterfly squares for the center.

I plan to finish this up north and give it to my grandson's wife.

SharonG/FL

Image link: Mixed Up Butterflies (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed Up Butterflies

Sharon, that's beautiful! I love the colors and the placement. Hope your grandson & his wife love it!

Donna

o

Thank you, Donna. It really went quickly with the blocks being so large to start with. I might use this pattern using a kids I Spy sort of thing. It was fun to do and for me, at this point in time, that's what quilting is about.

o

Thats really cool...wouldn't that be good for scrap strips?
Karen L

o

How nice -- what a neat effect. Another great idea for how to use "large prints" effectively.

I love the colors and how the square quarters create a pattern.

o

I like that a lot. It has a lot of graphic appeal with the light and dark.

o

Thank you. Starting with a 16" block and then cutting to 4 8" blocks made this top go really fast. I really enjoyed doing it and hope to be able to do another one. I bought the fleece for the backing yesterday and want to get it washed tomorrow so I can start getting it together. My daughter is getting a sewing machine from her SIL today, so I'll check that over and see if it's something I can use or if I will need to go out and buy one.

SharonG/FL (now in Indiana for awhile and not able to get on computer too often)

o
re: mixed up butterflies from bento box

Here is Sharron's quilt using the bento box pattern. Hope it helps
Jean

o

Jean, You have a good memory!!!! I had forgotten I made this!

Looking at it now, almost 2 years later, I think the center blocks should have had a better light and dark look to them.

SharonG/FL

o

I just remembered someone doing a really nice quilt that inspired me to do one in country colors. Mine isn't quilted yet, but it is a very easy fun quilt to do.
Jean

o

Jean, Hope you post a picture of your quilt! I get lots of inspiration from pictures posted and then tweak them to make them 'my way.' I've found that I really don't like long drawn out patterns that take forever to make (although, I've done them in the past) and this one helps to use up scraps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here