Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Cathdral Window

This is a WIP....I wish I would have started out using muslin instead of the sheeting I had on hand. Muslin would have been easier to hand sew through. I'm thinking about trying to sew the whole thing by machine, but think it would look funny. On the other hand, as it's my first attempt and if I keep it, who would care!?

SharonG/FL

Image link:

Comments (13)

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Sharon it is beautiful. You could always make this one a wall hanging then make one with muslin to use.

beverly

• csackett
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    That is really pretty! I saw one made with black that was really stunning. I'm aiming for a long tablerunner and maybe a jacket. I'm sewing the block together by machine and still trying to get the seams even.
    Carolyn

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you.....I doubt I'll make another one....I'll just get this big enough for a lap quilt and then see if it looks good enough to give away or keep. I still don't have one for myself! I was working on a Stack and Whack quilt for myself, but my sister oohed and aahed about it so much I took it off the design wall and gave her the top as it was (needed the last border), along with the book and the rest of the fabric so she could finish it up. Although she said she had it quilted, I haven't seen it.

• rosajoe_gw
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Your work is awesome.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to start one.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rosa, This really is easy to do and helps to use up the bits and pieces of fabric we hang onto for whatever reason. *smile*

• hoerlel
    17 years ago

Sharon, that is really lovely. I want to try a CW someday, but I really don't like handwork. I know there is a way to sew it by machine and I will have to look it up some time soon.
    Lucy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lucy, This site shows how to do it by machine. She goes through it by hand first, then by machine. She doesn't say anything about sewing the windows by machine, but her granddaughter made one totally by machine. I don't see a reason why you couldn't just machine around the windows. In fact, I think I'm going to try it....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cathedral Window instructions

• rosajoe_gw
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    I had instructions for CW blocks that I never could figure out. Thanks, yours are so much easier and I have started to make a stack of the 12" machine sewn muslin blocks and as I watch TV and listen to hubby I am going to sew in the windows.

• juttz
    17 years ago

Sharon, I have to check out the gallery more often...your quilt is just awesome..I looked at the directions and Im keeping them for me to try..soooo many quilts so little time...thanks for sharing your pictures..it sure does inspire me...Judy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rosa, As you can see, I do them a section at a time so it's much easier to handle. I haven't sewn the windows with a machine yet, but I want to try it....maybe tomorrow. I guess that would be today, now. @:)

Thank you, Judy, I won't be posting anymore pictures for awhile. Two more weeks and I'm heading to Indiana to begin my 3 month summer travels that I'm giving myself for a retirement present. I already have a small suitcase full of quilting supplies to make DD1 a quilt while I'm up there. Just can't keep away from it!

SharonG/FL

• maggie_sue
    17 years ago

Have an enjoyable summer, be looking for you in the fall.

• rosajoe_gw
    17 years ago

These are addicting and Sharon's instructions are very good.
    Rosa

• barbara_in_pa
    17 years ago

Nice work... I love this pattern. CW was one of the first projects I started when I wanted to start quilting. Trouble was I got so tired of all the work it was, I quit my goal of a bed quilt and ended up with a wall hanging (which is still hanging on my wall) and some day I will repeat this project and go all the way and finish the size I originally intended to do. Barbara

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21