Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agoldencomet

Charity Preemie Quilts

agoldencomet
14 years ago

I have been quilting for about three years and really want to try different patterns and techniques. However, being 62, I feel I don't have time to make full sized quilts of all my ideas. So I decided this year to make charity quilts for preemies born at my local hospital. My goal is to make twelve. Here are the first six. They all measure between 18x18 and 24x24.

The snowballs here were donated, but the rest was mine including the nine patch in the borders:

This one was almost totally donated left-over fabric from a teddy bear club.

Here is my first attempt at free-hand quilting:

With this D9P (and the previous and next two) I did the binding backwards (attaching it to the back first) finishing it on the front with a machine quilting stitch:

This is my poorest result. Colours are too muted and also the borders/corners are poor. Since then I have learned how to attach the binding much better!! Oh, well some needy mom will love it wrapped around her baby.

I love this Pooh quilt, made with the left-overs from a baby quilt I made last year. This included my first attempt at mitering the corners of the borders. The machine stitched quilting speeds up these little quilts and really looks good on the flannel backs:

I have also been knitting preemie hats. If it fits an orange it will fit a preemie's head!! Here are my first 51 knit between January first and April 15th. (The five on the left are a little larger.) I have about another dozen made since then. A friend is going to help me add pompoms to all the cuffed toques. The others I intend to leave as is.

Comments (14)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Goldie, I'm not sure, but I think your little quilts could also be called miniatures. They are really cute. I think muted is fine for preemies. When our precious preemie was in the PICU, they didn't use any loud/bright quilts/blankets for her to lay on and no seams. It might be different in the NICU. Your little hats are adorable!

SharonG/FL

• agoldencomet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you , Sharon.

When I contacted the local maternity hospital, they didn't have any requirements or suggestions for preemie quilts. So I have been following some I found on line. They are all backed in flannel which is the side which would be next to the baby. Also, no invisible thread to cut little fingers and no buttons or ties either.

Even though I take some shortcuts, I really love making them!

goldie

• deannabsd
    14 years ago

Goldie,
    You did a great job. I know they will be loved. Deanna

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Those are great quilts. What a wonderful way to try new patterns, too. The little hats are precious. I know the hospital will be so pleased with your donations.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Goodness girlfriend don't you ever sleep LOL!!!!
    I am just learning to knit and your lil caps look perfect.
    All of the quilts are beautiful and I know they will love them.
    Rosa

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

What wonderful things you're doing. How kind & generous of you. I knew of baby & premmie quilts as donations, but didn't know about the hats.

I hope you are pleased & proud -- if you're not, you should be -- bigtime!!

• bonnie_nmi
    14 years ago

The quilts and hats are darling! What a generous undertaking.

Bonnie

• day2day
    14 years ago

What a great thing for you to do! I like the little quilts and hats. You should be so proud! Not only are you doing for someone else but you're learning something along the way. We hear so much bad news each day that we forget how kind and compassionate most people are.Thanks so much for sharing.

~Geraldine

• solstice98
    14 years ago

The quilts are beautiful and fun, the hats are adorable, and what you are doing is very special. I'm impressed with your commitment!

Kate

• maggie_sue
    14 years ago

You are very generous and talented!!

• love2sew
    14 years ago

Your preemie projects are just too sweet. How generous of your to share your time and talents to brighten the lives of very tiny new people to our world. The hospital will be thoroughly delighted with all the items.
    Jean

• lots2do
    14 years ago

I haven't been over here to the gallery for a while and just discovered your adorable quilts and the many,many hats you've made as well. It is a kind and thoughtful thing that you are doing.
    lots2do

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Love your little quilts and the little hats are the cutest i've seen in a long time.I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.Thanks for all you do for charity.
    Kathi

• jck1210
    14 years ago

I just discovered this gallery section!!! Your preemie quilts and hats are beautiful. As the mom of a preemie a few years ago, these generous gifts brought such a tremendous feeling of comfort during our long weeks in the NICU with our daughter. My daughter is almost 3.5 now and she still uses her quilt from the NICU and her lovely little hats are tucked away in her memory box.