Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

What I've Been Doing....

My DD3 called and after hemming and hawing around and yada, yada, yadaing, she casually asked if I would happen to have 2 baby quilts done that I didn't know what to do with. Yeah, right! Usually, as soon as I get a quilt done, it's gone....barely have time to take a pic of it. So, I had some frog fabric and fleece with frogs that I had planned on taking my time learning to meander on, and as one of the babies is a boy, I figured I could add I Spy squares around it to make it a better size.....hence, I Spy Frogs was born.

I had this top in the UFO bin so used this one and just added borders to it. With the cute backing, I thought it would do.

A friend wanted a Buc's quilt - I just did a 9-patch as the alternate square so the Buc's fabric would show up better.

Plus, I have 2 more ready for backing and am working on 3 more. When the quilting forum was sooooo slow, plus we have slow-dial-up, I just sort of got away from the computer and sat at the sewing machine....plus, there's that life thing that seems to be happening lately.....

SharonG/FL

Comments (6)

• csackett
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    These are all great! You are amazing. I finished one small project and thought I had done something. I don't
    know where you find the time.
    Carolyn

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn, Being retired (for a year now) means I have lots of time. We're mostly homebodies and DH is outdoors or in his studio most of the day so there are no demands on me. It helps that when I'm doing the same pattern throughout the quilt, it's easy to chain-piece and use the leader/ender theory. Just don't do the white glove test at my house. *grin*

SharonG/FL

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

I'm home all the time too & can't get as much done as you do. Those are great quilts! What did your dd need them for?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marti, My daughter had invites to a couple baby showers. To be fair, she did give me 2 weeks notice. I've gotten where I don't use batting....just fleece for backing. I was a little concerned when I first started doing this, but everyone loves the soft backing. This saves me time and $$$$. And I use the "birthing" method instead of sewing on a binding like I used to do. These are all utility quilts made to be dragged around by the kiddles and used. I don't do a lot of 'quilting' in the middle part as I think it takes away from it being soft, so I usually just do in the ditch and grid. My sewing area is in the back of the living room, so I don't miss anything that's going on, and there are 3 sliding glass doors so I can look outside, too....I'm very content there. @:)

Things will start to slow down for me soon....at least in the sewing area. My mom is coming for a visit from MN on May 25th and plans to stay for 2 weeks. I doubt there will be any sewing done while she's here. Plus, there will be at least 10 family members (maybe more - I've threatened to rent a port-a-potty!) here over Memorial Day week-end. It's gonna be a frenzy!

SharonG/FL

• kelly4905
    16 years ago

Great quilt! I am interested in knowing how you keep the fleece backing from being too "loose" -- I birthed one blanket as you described, but the backing was so loose I didn't finish it....does the quilting help? I should finish that one.....

Kelly (Nebraska/England)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kelly, I make sure the fleece is flat and straight, just like regular backing, and pinned good before sewing around the edges prior to birthing. Then I usually sew in the ditch or a grid. Pin it real good before sewing so it doesn't slide around and go for it! @:)

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions