Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Spicy Mountains

I have only completed the blocks for this quilt and my DD1, for whom the quilt it for, will give the final say on the layout. The first quilt I made her needs to be replaced and she requested that I used 'spice' shades for this one. I had her choose the fabric when I was up north last summer as she can 'see' colors that I can't and can visualize those colors together....which I can't That's one of the reasons I want her to do the arranging...so it's pleasing to her. There are so many different layouts for this, plus moving the blocks/colors around, that I wanted her to have the final say.

When I got her fabric home and found I had the (what I think is) the perfect complimentary fabric to go with it, I thought the Scrappy Mountain Majesties pattern would be perfect for all those colors. Anyway, I pinned the blocks to the sheet and will roll it up for when she comes down in May. Whew.....sorry this is so long.......

{{!gwi}}
SharonG/FL

Comments (14)

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

Beautiful! And all those points - yikes! The colors are warm and the design is very attractive - good job!

• nanciii
    17 years ago

That is a prefect pattern for those colors. She is gonna love it.

Very Nice.

Nanci

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you......the points were easy. Check out the link for the pattern......easy getting points this way. I made HST's instead of cutting the fabric into triangles first.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrappy Mountains

• northbound
    17 years ago

Wow! The "spice" collection is gorgeous! Thanks for posting the pattern site--it certainly simplifies a complex looking block.

Sharon C.

• fran1523
    17 years ago

Very nice. You did a great job and the colors are perfect. I have made that quilt using an even easier technique. You put two squares together, sew parallel lines and cut on the diagonal.

• lucyh_quilts
    17 years ago

Great looking spicy mountain quilt! I have always wanted to try to make one and now that I have seen your DD's quilt, I might just have to do one! I love the colors. They just set the whole quilt!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you......I really enjoyed making this as I've been wanting to try this pattern for a couple of years, but it just didn't seem to 'gel' until now. I have about 8 blocks left over for her to play with, so will post a picture after she gets thru arranging and I get it sewn together.....won't be til June, though.

I've been thinking about a border.....first narrow border, dark brown? Second border piano keys using all the fabric???????

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Your quilt is sooooooooo much more beautiful than the pattern on the site!!!!
    I love the spice colors.
    Rosa

• melissa968
    17 years ago

Sharon,

I love the colors. It's beautiful! I'm sure your daughter will cherish it for years.

Melissa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, Rosa. She chose colors I wouldn't have, but she's an artist with her own perception and can see colors I can't.....which she did a study of and found there's a small percentage of people with that ability. Who knew......

Melissa, I think she'll really like this as she just moved into her first newly bought home and is having a ball decorating. I'm really happy for her as she's had a difficult life raising 2 boys (now 27 and 26) on her own without the help of the dead-beat-ex!

SharonG/FL

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

"can see colors I can't.....which she did a study of and found there's a small percentage of people with that ability. "

Makes sense. DH is color blind - there are some colors he can't tell apart.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

glassquilt, I didn't think about the color blindness aspect of it.......she pointed out little bits of plum in one fabric and I still didn't see it......maybe I *am* color blind!

SharonG/FL

• biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

It's lovely, and I like the mottled beige material that ties it together.

• maggie_sue
    17 years ago

Sharon, that is just beautiful. Will have to put that on my to do list.