Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Satin Stitched Animals

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 18:31

I finished this today....I learned that coffee filters are wonderful to use as a stablizer when satin stitching...that paper comes right off and makes it so much easier to sew! It all started with the puppy square that's in the center on the top row and was posted last February over in discussions. This is for my third great-grandbaby due in June. Ultrasound is next week but I think this will work for a boy or a girl. I might make a receiving blanket size little flannel blanket to go with it for the shower, though. Specially if we find out it's a girl!

Photobucket

SharonG/FL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Satin Stitched Animals

Sharon, it is so cute. I, too, think it will be fine for either a boy or girl.

I have used coffee filters as a stablizer also. They worked well. I will use them again.

Lucky baby!
Sally

o

Thank you, Sally. I had fun with this one....searching the internet for patterns that I liked took a long time...and then to resize them, etc, but it was enjoyable. I even bought a coloring book and used an outline that was in it. It's really simple, but I like it.

SharonG/FL

o

I have so much trouble with satin stitching with my machine - even with stabilizer. What's my problem? - - I can't seem to make smooth curves!!! Any advice???

o

Judy, I did a search and found a tutorial for the way I do it. It's mainly going slow and moving the fabric a tiny bit....start after the pics of the coffee filters and that explains going around curves. I don't remember the numbers I used for length and width....I wrote them down, but they're at home in Florida.

Although I've never done it, I think her idea of using the Feather Stitch for butterfly antennae is brilliant!

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: Applique Satin Stitch Tutorial

o

That is a great tutorial. I acutally mark a dot on my applique piece to learn to pivot.
I started out with circles to practice, but I am not even close to being as good as Sharon.
I love the quilt!!!!!
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here