Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Bright and Black Top

Here's a top I just finished....nothing spectacular, I just needed to sew without thinking....plus used up some bits and pieces......

SharonG/FL

Comments (14)

• msmeow
    17 years ago

Sharon, I like it a lot! I really like the border fabric, too.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Donna. I was lucky I had that border fabric....I think it sort of pulled it all together.

I have fabric cut out for another one like this only using food fabric...I'm thinking this one won't look much like a weave.

SharonG/FL

• mirren
    17 years ago

I really like that Sharon. Are there instructions for that or did you just make it up.

• sew_self-taught
    17 years ago

Sharon -

I really like that! I think I figured out how you did it, but please tell exactly. My DH would love one like yours. Very nice!

Nina

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I saw a quilt similar to this but I think the blocks were smaller than what I made. There's probably a pattern somewhere, but I haven't actually seen one.

I cut the big pieces 6ý" X 4ý", the strips were cut 1ý" X 6ý" and you sew the strips on the 6ý" sides only, ending up with a 6ý" unfinished block. I used black as the first border.

Have fun with this......lots of ways to go and colors to use!

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    I love it!!!! I will have to make one for my DGD. When she was small her favorite pair of socks were bright orange with green thingies on them.
    At 5 years old I took her shopping for a bathing suit and she chose a very loud strawberry print.
    The older I get the more I want COLOR!!!!! When I was growing up fair skinned people only wore pastels and now I am drawn to brighter colors too.
    Rosa

• nanciii
    17 years ago

I love the bright colors for some reason it reminded me of Ice Cream I guess its the pink in there. lol

Nanciii

• sew_self-taught
    17 years ago

Thank you for the directions! This one is high priority on my to do list.

Nina

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rosa, Me, too! When I first started quilting, I stayed with safe colors. Now I love colors that say LOUD and use them with black.

Nanci, Bubble Gum ice cream????? lol

Nina, Once you get the fabric cut, this goes really fast. I think it took longer for me to pull out all my bright pieces of various sizes and cut them than it did to actually do the sewing! But, that was my purpose, use up those pieces!!!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Sharon I love it. I want to make one that looks like woven ribbons and that should work great. I'll give it a try. Any advice?

beverly

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Love the pattern - have saved the picture in my 'Ideas" folder.

• melissa968
    16 years ago

Sharon,

Bright and lovely! Great job!
    Melissa

• lizzy3_27
    16 years ago

Sharon, Beautiful! Love the colors. If I sew without thinking, I doubt it would turn out so well-LOL.

Liz

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beverly, Nothing to it, just cut and sew! @:)

Thank you, Glass and Melissa.

Liz, Right now I'm working on a quilt that I have to measure thru the middle after every round I put on to make sure I keep it in-square....to me, that's having to *think* about it and I can't do it when other people are around. After I cut the pieces for this quilt, all I had to do was pick them up and sew on each long side. I lump the 4-patch and 9-patch in with the no-brainers.....cut strips, sew them together, cut, sew.....voilÃÂ , there's your block!

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks