Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

one of my first quilts

day2day
15 years ago

I made this quilt when I first started quilting. I made it using a muslin foundation-just kept adding pieces and trimmed the blocks all the same size when I finished them. I used all kinds of fabric in it. I used the different stitches on my sewing machine to quilt it along the seams and scrap-pieced the binding.A couple of places are getting frayed edges. There were a few places where I made mistakes-didn't get little areas of muslin covered.I 'darned' our initials on them using the sewing machine-a'G','R' and'J'-can you see them? This quilt has been washed umpteen times over the years but hasn't faded much and is still one of my favorite quilts.

~Geraldine

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Geraldine, Great job!!!!! I'm making blocks using this method....I'm calling them Crazy Crumb Blocks. I don't have near enough for a quilt yet as I just do a few a week....I really should make more as the scraps are starting to take over!

SharonG/FL

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

I love your quilt. I just love the scrappy look and I like the string pieced quilt.There were a couple favorite blocks as one looks like a house and the other like windows in the house. I will let the rest of you spy for them. thanks for sharing.

Deanna

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

It's really pretty and I love the green in that border. Good for you, finding a way to deal with the spots where the muslin would have showed. A traditional Japanese house carpenter once told us that a really good carpenter knows how to cover up his mistakes cleverly, and that holds true for other things, too.

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

It's really quite nice, I especially enjoy the border color, one of my favorites & unusual for a border, especially in that style (I think). Works very well & the 'monogramming'' is a clever fix indeed.

I'm new to making bed quilts or washable quilts (rather than wall hangings which I've tended not to wash). It's encouraging to me to hear you find it's held up well to many washings. I hope to be so lucky!

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

It's really quite nice, I especially enjoy the border color, one of my favorites & unusual for a border, especially in that style (I think). Works very well & the 'monogramming'' is a clever fix indeed.

I'm new to making bed quilts or washable quilts (rather than wall hangings which I've tended not to wash). It's encouraging to me to hear you find it's held up well to many washings. I hope to be so lucky!

• love2sew
    14 years ago

Geraldine you make the most interesting quilts and thank you for sharing. I really love string quilts and make them for my charity projects. I love looking at the many fabrics in string quilts, it is mesmerizing. Here is how I gather my scraps for string quilting: I have a plastic gift bag that sits near my sewing table. When I get a project cut out the smaller leftovers get TOSSED in the bag. When the project is completely done then I strip the scraps. It is amazing how quickly I gather strips to sew. I like to sew these on my featherweight when there is some special sports I want to watch. I don't have to worry about accuracy or 1/4" seams.

Thanks again, keep sharing your work, you are so creative.
    Jean